Sunday, August 16, 2009

RE: [papercreters] Electric mixers with papercrete



to evelynanne8 & all;
some thoughts; re: running an extension cord
"ELECTRICITY IS DANGEROUS" 

Run the electric cord through PVC... use the glue to join the areas that might be more inclined to be laying in water.... yes use pvc that is big enough to string the cord with the pulg on though the pvc or cut off an end plug... string it through the pvc length and re attach a plug with a reset button ....
or
get some re-bar and make little stakes out of them and string the electric cord above the ground... use zip ties to attached another zip tie loop to string the electric cord through
or
use a plastic bags/milk jug/clear plastic water bottle over the plugs and use zip ties or electrical tape to hold in place ...(with plastic it is best to just make a slice with a razor blade and pull apart just enough to slide the cord in)
 or
 even a good glop of caulking over the connection of the plugs that might be on the wet ground area.
or
go buy a good novel and when the weather is too wet or you need an excuse to not work, you can take a mental health day and go read your book that you bought in advance!

do not listen to those that are not in your shoes... <grins>
THIS IS THE BOLD PRINT HERE
"ELECTRICITY IS DANGEROUS" 
if in doubt get an electrician to run ya some temporary wire run with enough amp, volt, oooph to do what you are wanting to do!!!! They might just get some wire cable from the local home depot/lowes etc.. and add plugs on both ends for you...

the longer the extension cord run is the oooph to power things goes down quickly...
 buy a cable that can go the distance!!!  even the hired help at local home depot/lowes etc. electrical dept... might do work on the side.... or help you select a cable that can go the distance.

now a long story cut short;
Last Fall I bought a cement mixer, an old cast iron heavy momma... well I really wanted a plastic on so that I could move it around easier... but the guy at my "day job" who sold me it went on and on how much better it was to have a bit more sustantial equipment to do the job... so I bought it, he delivered it... and it sat and sat... so last week I said now I am gonna use it... went to move it and it only has 2 little wheels and awkward, I put my dolly under the other side to move it... well... it moved a few feet, then in the dirt it got stuck and I pushed a bit more... oh yeah was over 100 here in texas while doing this... and boom down and over the mixer went, breaking the fly wheel and after several attempts to stand it up right I can not ... ugh.. even got my little truck to try to pull it up...nah no way... so I pulled it over to the side of broken dreams... lesson to the story... know the limits of you... I know that at 20 I could not pick that cement mixer up and no way at 53... sure now I'll just go back to using the wheel barrow and shovel... till I find out where to get those niffty paddles like to mix up some slurry... with my northern tool cheapo hammer drill, I know 5 gal buckets are lighter!


Please remember anything I write, say, or do is for entertainment purposes only
and
"ELECTRICITY IS DANGEROUS" 
at least wear rubber soled shoes!

and a day playing in the mud beats a day in the office
Laura


--- On Sat, 8/15/09, JUDITH WILLIAMS <williams_judith@hotmail.com> wrote:

From: JUDITH WILLIAMS <williams_judith@hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: [papercreters] Electric mixers with papercrete
To: "papercreters papercreters" <papercreters@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Saturday, August 15, 2009, 12:42 PM

 

I'm sorry to hear that you were put off by all the nervous nellies. I've never used a small mixer myself for papercrete but in the past have mixed up plaster, grout, thinset and things like that. It seems there are a lot in this group who use electric drills and such to mix papercrete in 5 gallon buckets. What is the problem with that? Anyone with half a brain knows you have to be careful about the cords lying in water or you standing in a puddle. It's just common sense. Well I guess I've had my say and managed to not include one single practical idea or solution to your problem.

Sincerely, Judith

Check out my new Squidoo Lens at http://www.squidoo. com/papercreteby judith




i'm EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
Join me



To: papercreters@ yahoogroups. com
From: evelynanne8@ gmail.com
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 10:21:23 -0700
Subject: [papercreters] Electric mixers with papercrete

 
Sometime ago I posted asking about what electric mixer would be good for papercrete. I got so many warning about using electric mixers that I now find myself afraid to try it! I was trying to get a project done for the Pail O'papercete competition, got all my material together, borrowed a mixer and then it happened, I hit a wall, told myself lots of excuses why I didn't have the time to begin. The mixer I borrowed was the same mixer that I have used many times for mortar, grout, plaster when working a remodel job. The contractor I work with thinks I am being silly due to the fact that I have had so much experience and he is one of the most safety conscious person I know.



--
Chinese herbals for the Western Mind
www.ozbotanicals. com
Skype~eve8mon






__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___