Wednesday, May 20, 2009

RE: [papercreters] Re: Stucco blaster



If I had the ability to turn an old truck engine into a compressor I would never pay full price for anything again.

Sincerely, Judith
Visit my new website at http://www.papercretebyjudith.com


   If you can't explain it simply, you don't know it well enough.

         If we knew what we were doing it wouldn't be called research, would it?

                                                                                                                                           Albert Einstein





i'm EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
Join me



To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
From: Spaceman@starship-enterprises.net
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 23:26:41 -0600
Subject: Re: [papercreters] Re: Stucco blaster



I'm sure your design would work fine for pc if it is mixed to a pulp. I had looked at drywall texture sprayers and they were out of budget for something that I didn't know would actually spray papercrete. I looked around the web and found several designs, including one with a teakettle hopper that was designed by John Cruickshank (sp). They all had the same venturi sprayer principle. I went to a local plumbing supply store and designed on the counter from what they had. It has worked well. It could probably be improved with a little experimentation though I haven't felt the need - since it works I won't "fix" it. The 3' of 4" holds a couple of gallons and weighs close to 20 pounds so it is a two handed sprayer for sure. With a medium grade compressor (12cfm@40psi) and a fifteen gallon tank filled to 110psi I can spray about fifteen minutes and then have to stop to let the compressor catch up. 15cfm would probably be enough to eliminate the breaks, but that's a little beyond the capabilities of a 1hp electric motor. With the regulator feeding me 40psi I can spray about ten feet off a scaffold, nice for the tops of domes. A bigger compressor would be great and let me spray continuously while pumping from the no-tow mixer to the sprayer instead of using a hopper. Since I don't have a grand lying around to buy a nice compressor, I'm planning to convert an old Toyota 4cyl 2.2l truck engine into a compressor. That should give plenty of air flow with the right power source. I mix my pc a bit thin for spraying and the extra water is absorbed by under layers and drains away at the bottom and face. Depending on your recipe you can spray several inches thick, and you might get to experience the sensation of watching a wall slide to the ground when you pass the limit. Shoveling pc from the ground into a wheelbarrow usually introduces assorted trash that will clog your sprayer so you should filter anything you want to spray.

Hat and safety glasses and keep your mouth shut -

Papercrete
is really sweet
but it's not
good to eat!

Spaceman



Greg B wrote:
Wow great minds....... Funny u have the same thing with the washers in mine it sprays concrete based stucco. But i guess if u took them out it would spray pc. I don't know im new to pc. Three feet of 4 in pvc must be fair heavy. With my funnel hopper I just stand next to a full wheel barrow of stucco and scoop it in the hopper as needed. I have no on off valve cause I'm using a compressor without a tank. Im guessing the pressure would be 20 lb. The gun stood about a foot from the wall and there was a bit of back splash. So wear a hat and be prepared to get splattered. It is amazing how well some junk glued together can save so much time and labor.  

Greg



------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/




No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 8.5.339 / Virus Database: 270.12.34/2122 - Release Date: 05/19/09 06:21:00




__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___