Wednesday, May 20, 2009

[papercreters] Re: PC inside a bus turned RV?

I havent decided for sure that I am going to use PC, but I am exploring the possibility and if it would work it would be my first choice. But there are several obsticals to overcome to make it (mostly the mixer) and a good mix and/or way to make it waterproof, fireproof and give with the flex without breaking down. Because I want the max Rvalue and lightweight, I think paper and water strictly is the way to go. What about doing it in individual panels instead of monolithic like the bus? Maybe the panels could just be attached to the steel frame with glue, or the panels could be wrapped with that foil bubble wrap and loosly placed inbetween studs? If I made the studs out of PC do you have a suggestion for a mix? Like I said, at this time I am just "exploring" this and am still open to the possibility that I may have no real option other then to do it the conventional way when the time to insulate comes.But I have always liked the idea of PC and always thought one day I would do something with it and this seemed like a good project idea to me to start with.

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, Perry Way <perryway@...> wrote:
>
> Yes I know about the RTS's. I had a PD4905, you know the old Greyhound bus
> that was shorter in front than the rest of the bus, inside had stairs you
> walk up like 3 steps, and with the large storage compartments below that
> went straight through the bus on both sides. All busses flex. Even
> "schoolies". It is due to long wheelbase. The monocoque frame busses seem
> to flex less than full frame busses as they are a single unified frame and
> outer shell pretty much, but they all flex. You just can't tell with the
> naked eye as you're driving around but they do flex. My personal opinion is
> don't use concrete in the mix. Find some other binding agent. Something
> that is designed to flex without fatiguing. That is why poly foam is so
> popular. It flexes and bends. There is newer foam that does not lose it's
> insulation qualities through the years. I don't recall the details but I
> think it's closed cell foam. I had a buddy in Idaho using that. He wasn't
> spraying he was gluing it in thin layers straight to the skin of the bus.
> On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 7:16 AM, teresa parker <ablueprincess@...>wrote:
>
> >
> >
> > SLO for me too! Hi neighbor! The school buses are made quite a bit
> > differently then the RTS. I do belong to several RTS specific groups and am
> > shooting PC around with one of the groups. Someone in that group who is
> > closer to actually insulating his bus then I am is thinking about PC now
> > too. This is the spray foam that is usually used, this particular page
> > doesnt talk about the qualities, but this is it
> > http://www.energysavers.gov/your_home/insulation_airsealing/index.cfm/mytopic=11590 from
> > what I have been told.
> >
> > I still gotta figure out a mixer since I dont have a rear end, other then
> > my own :) I just dont think a 5 gallon bucket and a drill would go quick
> > enough.....
> >
> > If the PC is so strong, why is there so much concern over the bus flexing?
> > I have also read that plain ole elmers white glue would glue PC
> > together...... so I was even dreaming about making cabinets and furniture
> > with this stuff and then covering it with 1/8" paneling to look more
> > conventional.......
> >
> >
>


------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/