Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Re: [papercreters] Re: Ed Conley - Project Photos / Followup Mail

See inserted comments.
----- Original Message -----

ENori,   wow!   Aren't you something?  
 
Yup, I am. 
 
And I worry about you too.....
 
I wouldn't worry about me too much . . . You've got enough on your plate without taking me on as well.
 
You seem to be off in your own world, on plan 173,067,743 (as Slurryguy is keeping track), but not knowing what will work and what won't because you haven't actually done it.
 
Forgive Jay his joke.  He is my friend and knows me well.  He has also followed my plan from the start.  I value his opinion.  He has never said "it won't work."
 
Without someone like myself or Slurryguy or perhaps you husband to tell you what works and what doesn't, where would you be?  
 
I am shaking my head at this incredibly arrogant mysogonistic statement.  If you don't know what a mysogonist is, maybe you'd better look it up.  I grew up building things and using tools.  My husband didn't have that advantage.  He asks me how to do stuff.  If you don't believe me, ask him.
 
I give you an example of how doing one concrete pour is easier and cheaper than doing many, but instead of being able to generalize from that example to the principle involved, you say you won't do concrete and "Is that the only example you can give me"?    Whew.
 
Your big claim to fame was how inefficient and costly and stupid it would be to build small and then build on.  Concrete cost was the only example you gave.  I'm still waiting for the epiphany.
 
You say you are doing a "hypocaust" floor and that your floor will be "right on the dirt", whatever that means (please I'm not asking to be deluged with more details, not until you reach plan xxxxx perhaps).  
 
And because you haven't asked for detail, you have no idea the amount of research that has gone into my plan.  The best you can do is tell me it won't work.  You don't even say WHY it won't work.
 
So you use a Roman word for a Roman system of heating, but then you are very quick to deny that you are doing anything like the Romans.   Puzzling.
 
The word hypocaust is Greek though the technology is attributed to the Romans.
 
I hate to break this news to you, but "hypocaust" as a literal description of radiant heating no longer exists, except perhaps in a Gulag somewhere.
 
I learned about hypocaust flooring used in residences in England. There's a handy dandy clip together hypocaust ducting system being sold in Texas that's really neat.  Hypocaust means "to light a fire under".
 
It is anybody's guess what is currently in your head about heating, but why don't you just say that you are doing radiant heating in some way rather than using an obsolete word for an extinct heating system?
 
I'll tell the English architects and builder AND the crafty inventor in Texas they are using obsolete systems described by an obsolute word.  I'm sure they will immediately stop using it on your august word.
 
The Roman system of heating will not work for some of the same reasons that your pet rocket stove will not heat your house.   Here are two reasons (so that you don't become upset because I gave you only one):   1)  These systems are not supposed to burn logs, and 2) You need slaves or personal attention to keep them going.  Perhaps some day in your extensive research you will realize the wisdom of this.
 
It would help a LOT if you would do some basic research and a little personal experimenting before you pass judgement on the efficacy of systems with which you have no personal experience.  To not do so shows how incredibly uniformed/uneducated you are.  And the really sad part is, it appears to be by choice.  That has to be painful.
 
ElfN
__._,_.___

Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___