Friday, July 18, 2008

[papercreters] Re: Post this year's invitations to help build with papercrete here.

Hello Ad,

Welcome to the group.

It has been surprising to me that we haven't seen more papercrete
activity in California than we have.

The nearest project to Santa Rosa that I'm aware of is something
Shane Keller posted about. I'm not sure about its current status.
He may not have even broken ground on it yet. He posted a while back
about something in the Garberville-Benbow area.

I think Joyce Plath's cabin, "Pantilocpom", around Big Bar is
essentially complete. It's a very nice looking project, but I
wouldn't expect much if any hands-on work left to be done there.

It's also shocking to me that I haven't heard of a single project in
the entire state of Nevada. ??????? What's up with that? There
almost has to be several projects either completed or under
construction somewhere in Nevada, but I guess nobody is talking about
them. I bet we have members in the group from Nevada. Speak up and
let us know what is going on please!

Other than Shane Keller's project, your best bet is probably the Pera
Club near Tempe, Arizona. Barry Fuller always seems to have
something going on there.

Hopefully this discussion will bring out some more activity that
we've been unaware of previously.


I hope this helps.


--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, AG <agorgeous7@...> wrote:
>
> Hello papercreters,
> I am new to the group, I joined it about a month ago, and have been
reading everything you post ever since to learn all I can of this
wonderful papercrete.  This is my first posting.  At that time we put
an offer in a house that was crying out loud for a big remodelation,
built in the 40s, not real foundations, tiny 640sf, low no more than
8f (if)... and being as I am, loving alternative methods of
construction, I  started my earch for papercrete.... now, being a
reality for the offer was finally accepted, the project is becoming a
reality. I have not done anything yet, not even a test block, we live
in an apartment. The house being so tiny first thing we will need to
build is storage for our stuff. It would be great if I get the
opportunity to visit and help someone who is already involved in a
project, that would be a very valuable experience for me and my
husband if he can make it, he is the one working full time and I am
the one in charge of
> making any project happen, I have the time and I love getting my
hands dirty.  What you present here is an excellent idea, we are in
Santa Rosa, Sonoma county, Ca. not the esiest place to be to build
the alternative way, according to my husband, he is a native here, I
am relatively new, born I Chile, SA. and lived 15 years in NYC. I got
fed up of the big city and missing so much the Pacific Ocean I came
to Ca. If there is someone around this area working in a project and
needing help or willing to show and teach a little, I am available,
as I said I love working in projects, I am an artist, involved in
ceremic and have previous experience working in my own houses, on my
own, whatever I've done is still standing after many years so I guess
I did it right, we can even go to the neighboring counties. Please,
let me know.
> Thanks you all papercreters, you are the greatest.
> Ad
>
>
> --- On Fri, 7/18/08, slurryguy <slurryguy@...> wrote:
> From: slurryguy <slurryguy@...>
> Subject: [papercreters] Re: Post this year's invitations to help
build with papercrete here.
> To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
> Date: Friday, July 18, 2008, 1:15 PM
>
> It's been 6 months since this thread was started.
>
> How about some updates?
>
> If you look at this post on the web page in the archives you'll
see
> all the responses to the initial post attached below it.
>
> How many projects are people working on that haven't been
included?
> I know I've read snippets about a few of them.
>
> How are other projects progressing?
>
> How have everyone's plans changed?
>
> Any recent pictures to share?
>
> Has anyone visited a project? What did you think? Did you take
> pictures?
>
> Who is winning the "Most Sweaty Papercreter" award for 2008?
>
> --- In papercreters@ yahoogroups. com, "slurryguy" <slurryguy@ ..>
> wrote:
> >
> > I know that we have a number of people in the middle of various
> > projects at various stages. Some people hold formal workshops
and
> > seminars and charge an attendance fee. Others are simply trying
to
> > get something built and are happy to have some helpers show up.
> >
> > I know we have a large number of people that are interested in
> seeing
> > what people are doing and maybe getting some hands-on experience.
> >
> > Let's see if we can help everyone.
> >
> > Anyone who has a papercrete project underway, or IS CERTAIN they
> will
> > have a papercrete project going by this summer, PLEASE POST
ABOUT
> IT
> > IN THIS THREAD.
> >
> > Please answer all of the questions listed below:
> >
> > 1. What are you going to be building?
> >
> > 2. What is your location? (at least approximately)
> >
> > 3. When is the most probable "BEST" time for someone to come
visit
> > your project?
> >
> > 4. How much work do you expect visitors to perform?
> >
> > 5. Are you expecting visitors to pay any kind of fee? How much?
> >
> > 6. Are you willing to pay a wage if someone is willing to be a
> full
> > time worker for an extended period of time? (define parameters)
> >
> > 7. Where is the best place for your visitors to spend the
night?
> > How much does it cost?
> >
> > 8. Who is responsible for supplying meals?
> >
> > 9. Do you welcome visitors that just want to stop by for a
couple
> > hours and see what is going on?
> >
> > 10. What is the best way for someone to contact you?
> >
> >
> > After you have answered the above questions, feel free to add
> > whatever comments you feel are appropriate.
> >
> > FAIR WARNING: If you don't answer all the questions, I just
might
> > make a few jokes about it. hehehe (evil grin)
> >
> > Seriously though.... It might seem a little early for this, but
> many
> > people need time in advance to schedule vacation time and make
> > preparations. I realize that it is difficult to schedule EXACT
> DATES
> > in a construction schedule months in advance. Just do the best
> that
> > you can.
> >
> > Everone should realize that someone posting about their project
is
> > just giving the best answers that they can at this time and that
> > circumstances may change as time progresses.
> >
> > Please be aware that neither Papercreters, nor our moderators,
> > specifically endorse any one particular project, visitor, or
> worker.
> > Everyone can evaluate whether a particular visit makes sense for
> > their situation.
> >
> > HAVE FUN.
> > Learn and Share!
> >
>

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/