Wednesday, July 9, 2008

[papercreters] Outside the box -was- Re: Ed Conley - Project Photos / Followup Mail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1yYB85ArHE

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "ElfNori" <elf@...> wrote:
>
> Neal, I worry about you. You are a glass half empty kinda guy and
that's got to be a tough way to go through life. My husband, the
ultimate pessimist, has finally give up on the "it won't work" litany
after many years of watching my successes. He would advise you, in
dealing with me, to quit while you're ahead. He would also advise
you to never say "it won't work" to me about anything I plan.
>
> I am a "think outside the box" person. I come from a "think
outside the box" family. I design (and sell) patterns. I make award
winning quilts. I write awesome programs and build computers. I
write and have been published internationally. I can drive a loaded
log truck and ride a motorcycle. I can train a horse to ride or
drive and you would be amazed at how smart and well behaved my dogs
are. I rebuild and repair sewing machines for fun. I AM a
renaissance woman and I am smart. I am also retired and I have the
time to build things myself. I grew up building. This will be
slower, but I plan to work smarter, not harder. I do intend to do as
much of the work as I am able.
>
> You compared my app to the Romans. Not a good comparison. I
didn't say I was using the Romans' version of hypocaust flooring.
They used raised stone floors under which fires were lit. Workable
but not where I'm going. It would be better for you to ask for
details before beginning your "it won't work" litany.
>
> In my planning I do lots of research and ask lots of questions. If
I run into problems I am confident I can find a solution. That's
just the way I'm built.
>
> Is concrete the only example you can give right off the top?
Bummer.
>
> ElfN
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: sire@...
>
>
> The concrete was only an example of everything else involved in
construction. I doubt that the idea of building a 2000 sq. ft.
house 400 sq. ft. at a time would be considered by any person looking
rationally at their time and money, unless of course you are
retired, plan on doing most of it yourself with few workers, and have
oodles of time to oversee such a piecemeal project. Just my opinion.
>
> You see to prefer the ancient Roman word for radiant heating,
although the Romans would never put the floor on the dirt and I doubt
you will be copying their system. In the modern world radiant
heating is usually done through a slab on grade, and even the Romans
used concrete.
>
> Neal
>

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/