Sunday, June 5, 2011

Shredded paper : [papercreters] Wayne's paper bricks



I was at the courthouse in Santa Fe a while back and noticed huge bags on shredded paper in the hallway. I asked the maintenance man what they were going to do with them and they had me pull my truck up  to the door and loaded them for me. This had worked out really well. I love the shredded paper, and apparently the gov't has more money to spend on equipment because the paper is shredded in both directions making it like confetti. I don't get to downtown Santa Fe very often but I should probably make a point of it just to get the paper.

I get a lot of newspapers and bags of shredded paper from the local high school too. They were just throwing it in the dump. The newspaper companies donate free papers to all the schools and they don't even get read. Sad.

I usually use cardboard because it is so easy to get but the shredded stuff is just so convenient and really cuts down on the work since it doesn't need to be soaked.



Follow progress on the new project at http://www.papercretebyjudith.com/blog

More papercrete info at http://squidoo.com/papercretebyjudith





To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
From: lilyklink@yahoo.com
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2011 08:41:44 -0700
Subject: Re: [papercreters] Wayne's paper bricks

 

Where i live they just put it out by the dumpster, bags and bags of it. When thesemester changes they have some many new files and whatever. Everything must be shredded for privacy's sake. They throw away a lot of old books newspapers and magazines too. Those are in the dumpsters!:)
 
Joy in OK 


From: Garth & Kim Travis <gartht@windstream.net>
To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sun, June 5, 2011 6:53:04 AM
Subject: Re: [papercreters] Wayne's paper bricks

 
Greetings,
Will you please explain your comment about the college? Which
department do you talk to to get this shredded paper?

Bright Blessings,
Garth & Kim Travis
www.TheRoseColoredForest.com
Bedias, Texas
936-395-0110

On 6/4/2011 10:54 PM, Joy Pickens wrote:
> Yes, I would like to read more of this if you have the time. Also I was
> wondering, paper bricks, yes, how about paper logs formed to look like
> real logs only way lighter. Have you ever come up with something like
> that? I have a practically unlimited supply of shredded paper when the
> college changes semesters!
> Joy in OK
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------
> *From:* Wayne <huon@intas.net.au>
> *To:* papercreters@yahoogroups.com
> *Sent:* Sat, June 4, 2011 8:40:24 PM
> *Subject:* RE: [papercreters] Rookie mixer?
>
> I wouldn't call myself a rookie, as I started using paper to build about
> 15 years ago. I just found that papercrete as you make it does not handle
> our wet weather, so I gave up trying to find an inexpensive way to achieve
> it. Standard pepercrete sets but never stays real hard here as it never
> dries. So I now accept the fact that it needs to be protected from the
> weather. If it's not in the weather then it doesn't need cement or clay.
> It's like making mud brick with paper, but they are super lightweight.
> The bricks are encredibly strong and lightweight, much lighter than wood,
> but you have to make the pulp by teasing apart the fibres and then reform
> them very wet to let them re-combine. It is a bit different process but
> if anyone is interested I can explain more.
>
> The first bricks I made when the kids where todlers and they had fun
> building forts with them (dry stacked bricks). They where so light that
> it didn't matter if the bricks collapsed on them. Now I make panels,
> decorative freezes, bricks to build internal walls, insulation and fire
> lighters from paper. Boxes, catalogues, magazines, just chuck them all
> in.
>
> Wayne
>
> >
> > So you don't put any cement or clay in your mix? What are you building? I
> > made a bunch of blocks one time and forgot to put cement in. They were so
> > nice and fluffy and light. I eventually used them in a slip form wall but
> > would not use them exclusively. And I would think that with your rainfall
> > they would disintegrate quickly.
> >
> > It would be interesting to do a slip form building with just the
> paper and
> > water then use the int. and ext plaster to provide the water resistance
> > and some strength.
> >
> > I have just put down a paperadobe subfloor. I think I started it about 2
> > weeks ago and finished it yesterday. My truck was broken down for a while
> > which set me back. Well anyway, it is taking a long time to harden up. I
> > know it takes a lot longer for clay than cement but I'm not used to
> having
> > to wait this long. Even the part that is 2 weeks old is still squishy,
> > although it seems to be improving. I will be taking a workshop with
> Carole
> > Crews in Taos next month on plaster and mud floors so want to be ready to
> > hit the ground running when I get back.
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------
>
> No virus found in this message.
> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com <http://www.avg.com>
> Version: 10.0.1382 / Virus Database: 1511/3681 - Release Date: 06/04/11
>




__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___