Monday, June 27, 2011

Re: [papercreters] water contamination of oil in rear end?



Dan,
Another thing to do when making your tow mixer is to remove the brakes entirely.  I used mine for 3 years and then one wheel locked up going forward.  It was fine driving backward but the blade didn't do much chopping and it was a real challenge heading down the driveway backward :)  I thought a bearing had failed and tore the whole towmixer apart to build a new one.  While doing that I decided to find just what had failed and pulled the wheel off the recalcitrant axle.  It was a chore as the braked had seized on the drum.  Bottom line, there were no bearings bad, rather a brake problem.  It was an old (1950's) 9 bolt Ford rear end and I will use it again. 

Also there is a vent somewhere on most rear ends and you can use it to be sure the whole rear end is full of oil right up to the bearing now at the top (normally horizontal facing forward).  I took a squeeze ketchup bottle, fitted it with a section of vinyl tubing and sucked up a bottle at a time and injected it into the vent.  Normally the vent is on top, but because the whole rear end is rotated 90 degrees it will probably be facing horizontal or even down a little.  Fill the whole rear end with oil till it starts seeping out the top.  I hammered a wooden plug into my vent, but you could easily put a short hose on the vent and using a couple of worm drive clamps to seal it.
Let us know how it works.
Ron   




From: Spaceman <Spaceman@starship-enterprises.net>
Date: Sunday, June 26, 2011, 6:03 PM

 

Mine started leaking oil fairly soon. After a few months I opened it up and replaced the oil/water emulsion with fresh oil. Then I used it for another eight years without worrying about it, eventually replaced the rear end because I lost an irreplaceable nut.

At the first papercreters gathering we replaced the oil in Judith's mixer because it was mixed with water. In both cases I saw no rust or unusual wear due to the water mix.

So to answer your question, the pinion shaft seal will leak both ways but it doesn't seem to be a problem. Not much oil into the pc, and the water in the oil seems benign.

spaceman  
On 6/26/2011 7:43 PM, danclarke95076 wrote:
Hi,  I thought I'd ask if anyone had had experience with the pinion shaft seal in the rear end letting water into the rear end and contaminating the grease in there.  I'm remembering a post about someone having oil come out, although I don't remember if they said just where it was leaking, and got to wondering if the pinion seal is proving adequate for keeping water out as well as oil in.  Thanks ahead, Dan     



__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___