Monday, June 27, 2011

Re: [papercreters] Make a mixer from an old pickup-bed trailer



For those of you attempting this don't do what I did.  I was building my towmixer in isolation (before I found that there was a forum).  I had a truck bed trailer and merrily went and designed a mixer on the bed of the truck 10" or so above the rear end.  I robbed the bearing set, axle, and blade off an old lawn mower.  I built a fancy (read time consuming) seal and fit the whole thing up and ran it around to see if there were any problems.  Looked like it was going to work like a charm.  Before I got to making my first batch a local farmer came in to feed his stock that were pasturing on the place and I was excited and showed and told him all about it.  He looked at it and said "What happens when you put 100 gallons of water in it?"  I looked at him like he was crazy and then realized what he meant.  How dumb.  I had left the springs on and as soon as I filled it with water it would have been heavy enough to push the tank down and rip the fancy bearing and axle right out of the bottom of the tank.  I welded a strut from the axle to the frame to keep it stationary and it was fine. 

I would do as Mile McCain does and weld a pipe right to the differential and a small superstructure to hold the tank.  There are two good things that happens when you do this.  One is that the height of the whole thing is down lower (easier on your back) and the second is the lack of need for the extra bearing and axle for the blade.  This way you can attach the blade right to the shaft coming out of the rear end.

Also, I used a 3/4" bed of plywood on top of my structure.  The mixer worked 4 years without problems and the tank is in perfect shape today.  I read that some folks have had problems with the tank coming apart at the seams.  My tank is a 100 gal stock tank that I bought new for this application.  With the whole bottom supported it still looks new.

Here is a link to some pictures of my learning curve:
https://picasaweb.google.com/105920026820293846718/Papercrete

Remember KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid)
Ron



From: Spaceman <Spaceman@starship-enterprises.net>
Date: Sunday, June 26, 2011, 10:33 AM

 

Yes, you should have the bed/tank attached to the frame so it does not move relative to the differential. You'll need to turn the differential so it points up instead of horizontal, and that usually involves some steel work since they aren't designed to mount that way. The bed will of course need a hole for the differential to stick through, and then a seal for that hole. If the differential doesn't reach into the bed then an extension MIGHT work if it is built very strong. Sealing around a moving shaft might be a problem. Maybe make the hole in the bed large enough to use an inner tube down to the top of the differential so all moving parts are inside. If your shaft extension is very long it might need a bearing near the top with the bearing in the mix, which is not so great for bearings.

The pickup bed might last longer than the cattle tanks and leak less. Corners might collect undigested paper clumps, maybe some baffles could prevent this, or even sheet metal screwed inside to curve the corner.

If you can take pictures underneath (or flip it over), details of how the axle is mounted, the suspension, stuff like that, then you will get lots of helpful advise. The more details, the better your advise will be!

spaceman 

On 6/26/2011 12:03 PM, thelandyachtaustin wrote:
I've read most everyone who's made tow-mixers start with a rear-end & build the trailer onto that...or incorporate that into a trailer, however you wanna say it.  But I've got (or have had access to, for a while) a trailer made from what looks like an old 3/4ton pickup-bed.  Heavy duty shocks & springs still in place (so the bed sits WAY up high from the rear-end).   Any thoughts on how I'd start modifying this thing to make a mixer out of it?  Am I gonna have to get those shocks off & drop the floor, or can anyone think of a way to "extend" the drive-shaft of the rear-end (to get into a tank sitting at the truck-bed level) once it's turned vertical?  Thoughts, considerations, suggestions all welcome!  



__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___