Monday, June 27, 2011

RE: [papercreters] Interested, but not necessarily in making my own PC



That's very interesting, worthy of being filed away for future reference. I met Zach Rabon's father in Tuscon a few years ago shortly after they started making papercrete blocks. They bought an old cement block factory and converted it to make papercrete. They seem like nice people but never deny that they are in it for the money. The houses they build in Texas are about 3000 sf and very upscale. Nothing against them but most of us are into papercrete out of appreciation for its simplicity and low expense.

If I wanted to use papercrete as insulation for a small shed I would find a way to make it myself without a tow mixer and do it as I had the time. I tend to want to do everything myself so I am biased but I see no reason to complicate a simple thing like papercrete. Lex Terry, an old timer in the papercrete world was involved in a project on the Navajo reservation. I asked him how they got papercrete all the way out there. What they did was make a slurry of just paper and water. They poured in into forms and cut them into blocks. They loaded them on a trailer, took them out there and mixed them with cement in a cement mixer. This may not be applicable to what you want to do but it is an example of someone being creative with papercrete.

By the way, I have many blocks stacked around my site and a large building that will eventually be dismantled. I don't see myself needing all these blocks and would not mind parting with them for anyone who is interested. I am in New Mexico.



Follow progress on the new project at http://www.papercretebyjudith.com/blog

More papercrete info at http://squidoo.com/papercretebyjudith



To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
From: ronerichter@yahoo.com
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 12:57:48 -0700
Subject: Re: [papercreters] Interested, but not necessarily in making my own PC

 

Andrea,
As a way to stay focused on papercrete in the middle of winter I wrote to Greenstar Blox and asked them to give me a quote on a 40' X 60' shop using their blocks.  I wanted to see what I would be saving by doing it myself onsite.  These are the only commercally available PC blocks (that I know of).  Here is what they said:

Ronne:
To give you some rough estimates in materials that you will need to complete your project -
It looks as though you will be needing roughly 4900 adobe Greenstar Blox-which comes on 41 pallets.(normally comes on 120 per pallet-but with us having to ship there-we may stack 156 per pallet in order to save additional trucks)
In order to make your field mixes on site for mortar and plasters-you will need 82 bundles of cellulose-and 8, 5-gallons buckets of our additives. On site-you will only need water and cement.
With the Greenstar Blox costing $1.50 each, cellulose running $15.00 per bundle-and additives at $25.00 per gallon
Your cost for materials will be approximately $10,720.00 with tax included.
The freight will be about $2.50 per loaded mile to Montana-per truck. I am guessing close to 3 trucks of materials-which will cost around $6,000.00 total...........
We would love to be a part of your project-and are here to help you in any capacity that is needed.
If this sounds interesting to you-we can begin to fine tune the numbers-but this should at least give you something to go by.
Feel free to call us anytime for more information-and to answer any other questions that you may have.
 
Zach Rabon
President
Mason Greenstar, Inc.
[ http://www.greenstarblox.com/ ]www.greenstarblox.com3

Remember this is without roof, doors, or windows.  I will be doing myself for a fraction of that.  I can't even imagine swallowing the shipping cost.  I thought of asking them if they'd like to start a plant here and other places so the shipping is less, but haven't.

Cheers,
Ron
From: alohadarla <alohadarla@yahoo.com>
Date: Tuesday, June 21, 2011, 9:44 PM

 

Hello, I'm new to papercrete and to this group. I'm potentially interested in using papercrete as insulation in a small backyard shed. I'm not particularly interested in making it myself, however. The amount I would need is fairly small, and I don't think I'll have other uses for this material in the future. Perhaps I could buy some from another papercrete enthusiast? I'm in the Bay Area (East Bay).
suggestions welcome.
Andrea
alohadarla@yahoo.com




__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___