Friday, June 24, 2011

Re: [papercreters] Re: Interested, but not necessarily in making my own PC



The information I got said boric acid is used as a fire and insect retardant, up to 15% of the total weight iirc. I don't know if that would smell like ammonia. When I was using borax in my pc it did not smell bad.

I mix outside but I don't want anything smelly in my papercrete. I was sitting here earlier thinking I should go blow $15 (after tax) on a package of cellulose insulation and see just how much it really makes, because I would find mixing in a concrete mixer in small batches very convenient for making panels. I already have a $12 bag of portland cement left over from the last project.

Maybe different brands have different additives and out-gassing. What brand did you use, so I can avoid it, or at least compare the MSDS with others? Did it smell before it was wet? Did the smell go away as it dried?

spaceman  Johnny five - "Input - I need more Input!"  All opinions expressed or implied are subject to change without notice upon receipt of new information.   

On 6/24/2011 3:36 PM, countryatheartok wrote:
 I recently used the blown in insulation to do a small project. When mixing it in a 5 gal bucket using a regular PC mix formula, while standing right over the bucket inside a room the smell of Ammonia  was very strong, strong enough to make me light headed. Don't know if it really is ammonia or borax, if you use this inside, you might want to vent the room.   


__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___