Friday, June 24, 2011

Re: [papercreters] Re: Interested, but not necessarily in making my own PC

Ammonia is a natural side efect of cement curing. It's more noticeable in
confined spaces and warm conditions.

Wayne

>
> The information I got said boric acid is used as a fire and
> insect retardant, up to 15% of the total weight iirc. I
> don't know if that would smell like ammonia. When I was
> using borax in my pc it did not smell bad.
>
> I mix outside but I don't want anything smelly in my papercrete. I
> was sitting here earlier thinking I should go blow $15 (after tax)
> on a package of cellulose insulation and see just how much it
> really makes, because I would find mixing in a concrete mixer in
> small batches very convenient for making panels. I already have a
> $12 bag of portland cement left over from the last project.
>
> Maybe different brands have different additives and out-gassing.
> What brand did you use, so I can avoid it, or at least compare the
> MSDS with others? Did it smell before it was wet? Did the smell go
> away as it dried?
> spaceman Johnny five - "Input - I need more Input!" All opinions
> expressed or implied are subject to change without notice upon
> receipt of new information.
> On 6/24/2011 3:36 PM, countryatheartok wrote: I recently
> used the blown in insulation to do a small project. When mixing it in
> a 5 gal bucket using a regular PC mix formula, while standing right
> over the bucket inside a room the smell of Ammonia was very strong,
> strong enough to make me light headed. Don't know if it really is
> ammonia or borax, if you use this inside, you might want to vent the
> room.


------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/