Friday, June 24, 2011

Re: [papercreters] Re: Interested, but not necessarily in making my own PC



I looked at cellulose insulation recently, thinking about mixing in a concrete mixer. The $12 per package (Lowes in El Paso) discouraged me when I realized that I would get maybe 4 cubic feet from that package. This would make expensive pc compared to waste paper in a tow mixer. 

IMHO this would be fine for small projects but not so great for something larger. Cellulose insulation comes with the fire retardant already included, and definitely would be easier to mix than "normal" pc. It can have up to 85% recycled paper, and has low energy embedded compared to other types of insulation. There are advantages but I don't think they negate the added cost in most cases.

spaceman  All opinions expressed or implied are subject to change without notice upon receipt of new information.  http://Starship-Enterprises.Net blog at http://Starship-Enterprises.Net/wordpress/

On 6/23/2011 9:49 PM, joel wrote:
I've used shredded paper sold as blown insulation for papercrete projects with good results. Home Depot and Lohl's both sell a good size bundle of it for $10. I think it might be about 20 pounds worth. Mix up what you need in a bucket.  Joel 


__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___