Sunday, June 5, 2011

Re: [papercreters] Wayne's paper bricks

Greetings,
Will you please explain your comment about the college? Which
department do you talk to to get this shredded paper?

Bright Blessings,
Garth & Kim Travis
www.TheRoseColoredForest.com
Bedias, Texas
936-395-0110

On 6/4/2011 10:54 PM, Joy Pickens wrote:
> Yes, I would like to read more of this if you have the time. Also I was
> wondering, paper bricks, yes, how about paper logs formed to look like
> real logs only way lighter. Have you ever come up with something like
> that? I have a practically unlimited supply of shredded paper when the
> college changes semesters!
> Joy in OK
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> *From:* Wayne <huon@intas.net.au>
> *To:* papercreters@yahoogroups.com
> *Sent:* Sat, June 4, 2011 8:40:24 PM
> *Subject:* RE: [papercreters] Rookie mixer?
>
> I wouldn't call myself a rookie, as I started using paper to build about
> 15 years ago. I just found that papercrete as you make it does not handle
> our wet weather, so I gave up trying to find an inexpensive way to achieve
> it. Standard pepercrete sets but never stays real hard here as it never
> dries. So I now accept the fact that it needs to be protected from the
> weather. If it's not in the weather then it doesn't need cement or clay.
> It's like making mud brick with paper, but they are super lightweight.
> The bricks are encredibly strong and lightweight, much lighter than wood,
> but you have to make the pulp by teasing apart the fibres and then reform
> them very wet to let them re-combine. It is a bit different process but
> if anyone is interested I can explain more.
>
> The first bricks I made when the kids where todlers and they had fun
> building forts with them (dry stacked bricks). They where so light that
> it didn't matter if the bricks collapsed on them. Now I make panels,
> decorative freezes, bricks to build internal walls, insulation and fire
> lighters from paper. Boxes, catalogues, magazines, just chuck them all
> in.
>
> Wayne
>
> >
> > So you don't put any cement or clay in your mix? What are you building? I
> > made a bunch of blocks one time and forgot to put cement in. They were so
> > nice and fluffy and light. I eventually used them in a slip form wall but
> > would not use them exclusively. And I would think that with your rainfall
> > they would disintegrate quickly.
> >
> > It would be interesting to do a slip form building with just the
> paper and
> > water then use the int. and ext plaster to provide the water resistance
> > and some strength.
> >
> > I have just put down a paperadobe subfloor. I think I started it about 2
> > weeks ago and finished it yesterday. My truck was broken down for a while
> > which set me back. Well anyway, it is taking a long time to harden up. I
> > know it takes a lot longer for clay than cement but I'm not used to
> having
> > to wait this long. Even the part that is 2 weeks old is still squishy,
> > although it seems to be improving. I will be taking a workshop with
> Carole
> > Crews in Taos next month on plaster and mud floors so want to be ready to
> > hit the ground running when I get back.
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> No virus found in this message.
> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com <http://www.avg.com>
> Version: 10.0.1382 / Virus Database: 1511/3681 - Release Date: 06/04/11
>


------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/