Friday, October 9, 2009

[papercreters] Usiing cardboard and roof



Just wanted to say that I am very happy with using cardboard in place of newspaper. I have been soaking it but have also had a few batches (when the group was here and we were in fast production) that did not get soaked. I think it does help to soak it but if it can't be done it just takes a little longer drive time. I think I go about 1/2 mile but have never measured it.

I especially love the color, a rich brown sort of like adobe.

About the roof: at this point I am planning a very simple papercrete roof. I have a bunch of vigas which I will peel and put up on the walls when they are ready. I'll space them rather closeley. Then over that goes rabbit or chicken wire tightly stretched.  Then papercrete slurry. Blocks (I am trying to use up the many blocks I have around so will see how it works to put them up there in stead of made to order roof panels), more slurry - like icing a cake. The roof will not be flat or pitched, more like a shallow mound sloped so it sheds most rain off to the porches and into the water tank.

That's the plan anyway. You know how it goes with papercrete. You get started on something and it doesn't go as planned so you have to think of something else and it comes out better than you ever thought it would.



Sincerely, Judith

Check out my new Squidoo Lens at http://www.squidoo.com/papercretebyjudith




i'm EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
Join me


__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___