Wednesday, April 1, 2009

RE: [papercreters] Re: off the grid

I would suggest a passive solar home with wood backup (or maybe even {yikes} electric). I'm sure there are many clever ones on this list who could do a nice solar water/infloor heat system but I'm not that smart. If you could berm it into the earth a little and face it south and build with papercrete I think you would have a great home. West, north and east walls and roof insulated with papercrete would keep you snug in winter and cool in summer. Just make sure you have a good overhang on your solar wall so you don't cook in the summer.

Sincerely, Judith
Visit my papercrete website at www.judith-l-williams.com.

Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.        Helen Keller





To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
From: oldmanfromnh@yahoo.com
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 13:38:16 +0000
Subject: [papercreters] Re: off the grid

A little humor: wait for the supposed polar shift, you might be in a warmer climate.
Gravity Man (Philip N. Ledoux)

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" <meandmydognamedbrown@...> wrote:
>
> I'm building an "off the grid" home, I have less than 24 months before I begin construction. I live in southern Wisconsin where temperatures get into the 90's and humidity is high to -30 and no humidity. The home will be build on over a 100 acres and is on a ridge where there is wind. I plan on heating using active solar and earth pipes and wood. Wind for power and as money will allow PV cells for power. I have been looking strongly at papercrete for construction. I need to cool the home to 70 degrees on the hotest days. I have looked at absorption, wind powered compressors, earth pipes but I see no easy answer. I have limited funds, but there is a budget non the less. Anyone have advice on all the above?
>




Windows Live™: Keep your life in sync. Check it out.

__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___