Wednesday, April 15, 2009

RE: [papercreters] Help in Indiana...please!



I think you may be wrong there Spaceman.  Ag lime to my knowledge is not hydrated and will not react at all.  It will not do the job we are looking to do.  Lime must be hydrated to drive off the co2 it is the reabsorption of the co2 that returns the lime to a stone and therefore makes it a hardening binder.

 

Nick

 


From: papercreters@yahoogroups.com [mailto:papercreters@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Spaceman
Sent: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 11:29 PM
To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [papercreters] Help in Indiana...please!

 




All the lime you can buy is hydrated. The other type is dangerous and not sold to unqualified persons because it can explode or at least make extreme heat when added to water if not done properly.

So, the field lime is hydrated.

Try garden supplies or an agricultural center, lime is used to adjust the ph of soils. Another source might be a drywall shop since lime is used in some plasters, though most places use premix stuff nowadays. The last lime I bought was at Home Depot, but that was several years ago. Lowes lists lime on their website, here, though it isn't carried by the local store.

Spaceman




imbulljeanne wrote:

I am trying to buy lime "Hydrated Lime N or S" to use in the Chinese plaster recipe I was able to find here by Charmaine.Now this is where I am getting into trouble. Neither Lowes nor Homedepot carry lime so I called a cement finishing company thinking they would know where I can buy it but they did not know about lime either. They gave me a number to another company that gave me the number to a calcium products Inc. that said they have #80 lime (and had never heard of hydrated lime)that they sell in pallet bulk, 5 pallet minimums.  
 
They told me to buy Harpers field lime or athletic field marker at a local feed type store. But no one seems to know what the difference between field lime and hydrated lime.
 
If there is anyone out there that can help me please do. I have between 800 and 1,000 lbs of pulverized paper sitting in my front room that I would like to start using. I will be picking up anther 3-500 lbs of paper this week. 
 
I would be grateful for any help you can offer.
 
Jeanne 
 
 
 
 
 
 
------------------------------------
 
Yahoo! Groups Links
 
<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/
 
<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional
 
<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)
 
<*> To change settings via email:
    mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com 
    mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com
 
<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
 
<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 
  
 
  
 
 
No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com 
Version: 8.0.238 / Virus Database: 270.11.57/2059 - Release Date: 04/14/09 14:52:00
 
  


__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___