Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Re: [papercreters] Re: papercrete for insulation in stick built shed

thanks,
this is my third winter in this no insulation shed (three wraps of tar paper) lol, and yes it is a bit chilly on 20F mornings... never wanted to go this long, but best laid plans went south, so the papercrete project is up next.

I re-read some online info, and the old light-bulb went off in my head about papercrete...
even just stacked blocks of papercrete against a building will be like an extra thermal mass....  Then when I have made enough, I can start using the blocks in building another small building with all papercrete blocks.... and design it to have a warmer winter next year.
Then using the old stick built buildings for storage of "stuff".

Great idea about the roof vent, and maybe I'll just mix up some regular paper mache with Styrofoam/aka peanuts and see it I can make some lightweight insulation... just have an desire not to buy the Pink insulation... lol

I would like to start small to test out my "building methods & techniques" so will start with a 10x10 or 12x12........  There are enough old tires here, that I can ram gravel/dirt into so that I can make a raised foundation to keep the new building papercrete blocks dry... ground gets saturated here when & if it ever decides to rain again.

and then you said you have "pressure washer (for pulping)" I saw pictures of this and
 it escapes me how you use this to pulp...  lol... Can you explain & would it ruin one if it was borrowed or rented? lol and I too use the little bucket method for ferro-cement mixes...

and coincidentally this week hooked up with an old acquaintance who has just started a papercrete house this last month, so this weekend will go out there to get some hands into the mix.... learn by doing...

thank you for your time
Laura
ps will add pics of my project to this group as I get going this spring...

--- On Wed, 1/14/09, Ernie Phelps <eepjr24@gmail.com> wrote:
From: Ernie Phelps <eepjr24@gmail.com>
Subject: [papercreters] Re: papercrete for insulation in stick built shed
To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
Date: Wednesday, January 14, 2009, 9:42 AM

--- In papercreters@ yahoogroups. com, Laura <lauranfriends@ ...> wrote:
>
> Thanks Ernie,
> covering my 10x10 shed with 12" blocks is not feasible as this will
> be relocated to another location on the property once, I finish
> building.

Ah. Well, 4" of PC is certainly better insulation than none. Perhaps
in combination with some louvered ceiling vents (open in summer,
closed in winter) it would be adequate? Not that even though PC is
light adding 133 square feet of it WILL increase the weight. Make sure
you consider that when you plan on moving it.

> I saw the sprayed on papercrete to a sea box shipping container, so
> was thinking making panels or 4' blocks would give some better
> insulation than the zip that I have now.

Yes. I think panels or spray might be a better idea. Perhaps if you
put 4" panels inside between the studs and then 4" panels (or even a
spray coat) outside it would get you a more livable temp inside?

> also with a sea box shipping container, which I will be getting
> soon, how thick of an external covering, would you recommend.

I would talk to the person who posted on it or review the archived
postings, I think we have had a couple people do this. Personally I
think in the case of the shipping container it was more to prevent
direct sun exposure, which can make those metal containers hot enough
to cook in.

> Its just me, one gal and a good sense of humor, so I figured some
> smaller projects would be good to start with, that would be
> structurally sound and usable.... lol all I have to mix with right
> now is an old heavy duty metal cement mixer, so I will be pouring
> very very small batches compared to most people on this group.

Nah, we still have plenty of folks who mix in buckets with a drill. I
have a gas powered Stow mortar mixer, a pressure washer (for pulping),
plus a small concrete mixer and I STILL mix with the drill and paddle
sometimes. heh. No use firing up the big stuff when you need 2 buckets.

- Ernie


__._,_.___

Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___