Thursday, January 29, 2009

[papercreters] Re: Construction Question

Tomas, let me see if I am seeing this right. I think I understand you are going to build a 2x6 frame work, with 4' x 92 5/8 " openings ever 4 foot. This would allow you to secure your bottom plate to the floor (ICC 2006 code states it must be bolted no less than 12" from each end/joint and ever 4 foot) but so much for code if you are not building in any city limits. 

Or are you going to build an entire wall, say for you shed 12' long on the sides and 16' long on the sides (by our city code, that is the largest out building you can build without a permit).  And after you have made the 2x6 wall complete with a double top plate and a single sole plate, you would fill in with your 4' wide and 92 5/8" tall panels with groved ends (kind of like the ones in the Shelterworks folder). If you do this out of wood, I believe you could glue the tongue and grove ends together with wood glue, and then apply PC inside and out for a finished wall. I would use a KREG JIG to apply screws to the sides, tops and bottoms to hold better. I would like to see your results when your finished.

Good Luck

Bob 

 Hi Bob,  Good questions. As far as joints I am think of a tongue and grove that would be actually part of the drying frame mold so that the panels dry in a shape that make them interlocking. Once in place one could come along with a bucket of PC perhaps a bit more portland rich and with a trowel complete the unions thus making the surface look like a uniform panel.  As far as the the top plate for joist and rafters goes this would all be a wood frame.  Runners along the floor and the plate would act to secure the PC panels in place.  This is how I did it with EPS panels in my last home and it worked very well.  The house even withstood a 6.2 earthquake 3 weeks ago and we were located only 2 miles away from the epicenter!!!!  I hope this makes sense.  I have done it with one medium and it just struck me that it could be done with PC panels. I will be working out the kinks in the next month with my shed.  Hope this all makes sense.  Any observations would be great!  -Tomas

__._,_.___

Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___