Thursday, January 15, 2009

[papercreters] Re: papercrete for insulation in stick built shed

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, Laura <lauranfriends@...> wrote:
> I re-read some online info, and the old light-bulb went off in my
> head about papercrete... even just stacked blocks of papercrete
> against a building will be like an extra thermal mass....  Then
> when I have made enough, I can start using the blocks in building
> another small building with all papercrete blocks.... and design it
> to have a warmer winter next year.

Great idea. Just make if you stack them more than one deep that they
are dry (shade will not let them dry initially) and something to keep
them out of direct ground contact.

> and then you said you have "pressure washer (for pulping)" I saw
> pictures of this and it escapes me how you use this to pulp... 
> lol... Can you explain & would it ruin one if it was borrowed or
> rented? lol and I too use the little bucket method for ferro-cement
> mixes...

Firstly it does no hard to the pressure washer, so renting is fine
although possibly cost prohibitive. I simply use it to make pulp
before I put it into the cement mixer (because the cement mixer does
not really make pulp, just flips the paper around) or mortar mixer
(which will make pulp but takes longer than the pressure washer).

So I load up a 40 gallon trash can with about 2 daily editions of
newspaper then hit it with the pressure washer turbo nozzle attachment
until it is well pulped. Throw in a couple more editions and repeat. I
do this until I have 20 gallons or so, after that the out spray can
get really messy. Then I take the pulp, dump it in whichever mixer I
am using and add cement. While that batch is mixing, I go back and
pulp some more.

The pulp can sit for a very long time before use although it will
start to smell AWFUL after 2-3 days in the Florida sun. I am betting
if you added Borax or lime to kill bacteria production you could
prevent this, but since all my PC projects are outdoor it is not a big
deal to me.

> and coincidentally this week hooked up with an old acquaintance who
> has just started a papercrete house this last month, so this
> weekend will go out there to get some hands into the mix.... learn
> by doing...

Great way to pick up skills and ideas! Plus if you help them they can
probably be convinced to give you a hand when you get started, saves a
lot of headaches having someone around to say "Oh, don't do that, I
did and man did I regret it...".

- Ernie


------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/