Thursday, January 29, 2009

Re: [papercreters] Construction Question

Hi Bob,
Just built a house in Costa Rica using pier and beam foundation and although I had planned my light weight panel walled construction before hand it struck me while building that PC wall panels would have been perfect for the job (light weight, great r-factor, etc.). I have not heard of PC panel construction mentioned yet in this group, but for my next construction I am planning on using it.  Basically I am going to pre-make large PC panels approximately 8' by 4' by 5 inches wide and then place them into the frame of the home. I am currently experimenting with panels of this size with a chicken wire core and others with treated bamboo to give rigidity to the panels. My roof will have a large over hang thus limiting the amount of direct contact with rain.  But your idea of piers I think would greatly increase the viability of PC construction (while taking advantage of it's light weight, etc.) thus eliminating some of the hassles of foundation seepage, wicking, etc. prone to PC construction.
I am making a storage shed with this type of construction first here in the Philly suburbs and hope to get it done by late Feb. depending on weather.
Tomás from Philly

--- On Thu, 1/29/09, Bob <criswells.ok@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
From: Bob <criswells.ok@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: [papercreters] Construction Question
To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thursday, January 29, 2009, 1:45 PM


My Question is; "Has anyone built a pier and beam foundation, at least
24" out of the ground, top it with a treated 2x8 mud seal, applied rim
joist and floor joist of treated 2x8's then applied wire mesh to the
bottom of the floor joist after installing rough-in plumbing, and then
filling between the joist on top of the wire mesh with papercrete, then
installing a wood floor and complete the structure with papercrete
walls, topped with a 2x8 treated top plate and finish off with truss
rafters?"

Bob


__._,_.___

Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___