Wednesday, January 14, 2009

[papercreters] Re: papercrete for insulation in stick built shed

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, Laura <lauranfriends@...> wrote:
>
> Thanks Ernie,
> covering my 10x10 shed with 12" blocks is not feasible as this will
> be relocated to another location on the property once, I finish
> building.

Ah. Well, 4" of PC is certainly better insulation than none. Perhaps
in combination with some louvered ceiling vents (open in summer,
closed in winter) it would be adequate? Not that even though PC is
light adding 133 square feet of it WILL increase the weight. Make sure
you consider that when you plan on moving it.

> I saw the sprayed on papercrete to a sea box shipping container, so
> was thinking making panels or 4' blocks would give some better
> insulation than the zip that I have now.

Yes. I think panels or spray might be a better idea. Perhaps if you
put 4" panels inside between the studs and then 4" panels (or even a
spray coat) outside it would get you a more livable temp inside?

> also with a sea box shipping container, which I will be getting
> soon, how thick of an external covering, would you recommend.

I would talk to the person who posted on it or review the archived
postings, I think we have had a couple people do this. Personally I
think in the case of the shipping container it was more to prevent
direct sun exposure, which can make those metal containers hot enough
to cook in.

> Its just me, one gal and a good sense of humor, so I figured some
> smaller projects would be good to start with, that would be
> structurally sound and usable.... lol all I have to mix with right
> now is an old heavy duty metal cement mixer, so I will be pouring
> very very small batches compared to most people on this group.

Nah, we still have plenty of folks who mix in buckets with a drill. I
have a gas powered Stow mortar mixer, a pressure washer (for pulping),
plus a small concrete mixer and I STILL mix with the drill and paddle
sometimes. heh. No use firing up the big stuff when you need 2 buckets.

- Ernie

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/