Monday, May 16, 2011

Re: [papercreters] Re: Free Camping - Dome building and papercrete



I always thought it would be so cool to travel and stay in various communities for a few weeks or months and learn about building and growing techniques and whatever people do.  Spent 2 years on the road in 1999 with my truck camper and had NO idea about ICs and all these projects.   Now we can't travel anymore because we're growing year round and getting started with ethanol production and have so much more building to do.   Mostly adobe, but with some papercrete over windows and doors.  And if we ever get caught up with our projects, we'd love to build a little papercrete dome.

We enjoy other peoples' blogs, especially with pictures!   We're so busy planting right now, but we try: http://highdesertpermaculture.org/

We're an hour from I-40 in NW AZ (near the Grand Canyon Skywalk in the Joshua Tree desert) and if you happen to get through the area, drop us a line and arrange to visit.

Also, been enjoying the birdhouse and planter ideas, so much cool stuff to do!

Christine


At 11:52 AM 5/16/2011, you wrote:

 

If I ever manage to get laid off I will be there... always wanted to see Montana.

I have enough projects to keep me busy for a couple of years (see http://minimalintentions.com). I am just finishing up my first papercrete dome which will be my main residence. Since it cost less than $3000 to build there is the possibility that I could build several around the country then move around to follow the good weather.

Eventually I thought it may be possible to build a network of people with similar ideas that would be willing to loan out the spare domes / residences that they were not using. Since the initial cost is low and a papercrete dome seems pretty indestructible and low maintenance, it may work where traditional housing would be too much of a risk. It would be nice to have essentially a free cabin to live in almost anywhere in the country.

Ah well... enough dreaming for now, you should start a blog about your experience, I would like to follow along.


__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___