Monday, May 16, 2011

RE: [papercreters] Re: Free Camping - Dome building and papercrete



With all that sun a double envelope greenhouse will be warm even in winter. 

 

 

-----Original Message-----
From: papercreters@yahoogroups.com [mailto:papercreters@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Garth & Kim Travis
Sent: Monday, May 16, 2011 7:18 AM
To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [papercreters] Re: Free Camping - Dome building and papercrete

 

 

Greetings,
Montana is just south of Sunny Alberta, I bet they get almost as much
sun as Alberta gets, which is 300 days a year on average. This means,
that even if it is cold, if the wind is not howling, a walk in snow can
be very enjoyable. Dress correctly and you may enjoy it. I do remember
many lovely walks in the moonlight in -40, in Canada.

However, doing chores in those temperatures and the wind, no thank you.
When I lived north, I was a city girl. High rise condo, no sidewalks
to shovel, covered parking type of life. I can take my heat, but I
don't want to farm in the cold.

Bright Blessings,
Garth & Kim Travis
www.TheRoseColoredForest.com
Bedias, Texas
936-395-0110

On 5/16/2011 9:54 AM, Joy Pickens wrote:
> I am an outdoor person, and I don't mean ski trips to colorado. I get up
> everyday and the first thing I do is look out the window, (or door) and
> then go out. I fiddle around with my mini cows, sheep, dogs etc.. And
> check a few plants and go from there. I am the sunshine vitamin queen! :)
> Zero degre weather is just too difficult to get a whole lot of enjoyment
> from being outside. I do bring in wood for the wood stove. Even in below
> zero weather that could be construed as fun, but after a few months of
> that....and forget about feeding and WATERING animals in that weather,
> but the choice would be to just let them die.
> I did hear from a friend of a family who moved to NW MT and built some
> sort of greenhouse that they could grow in even in the winter. I am
> thinking it was a pretty pricey startup, and complicated to heat. I
> would have to ask again to remember more details.
> Joy in OK---curent temp 52, high expected 72
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------
> *From:* Donald Miller <donald1miller@yahoo.com>
> *To:* papercreters@yahoogroups.com
> *Sent:* Mon, May 16, 2011 9:02:30 AM
> *Subject:* Re: [papercreters] Re: Free Camping - Dome building and
> papercrete
>
> I think the cold will be the biggest shocker for those who have lived in
> warmer places. I came thru this area in '05 right after Labor Day and
> ran into an early snowstorm! This area is also noted for late season
> spring snowstorms. Now, 100 degrees summer days don't seem too
> intimidating after living several years in SW Arizona. I think overall
> it would be a great place to live, just be prepared. It's much different
> than California or the southern tier states.
>
> --- On *Sun, 5/15/11, Joy Pickens /<lilyklink@yahoo.com>/* wrote:
>
>
> From: Joy Pickens <lilyklink@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [papercreters] Re: Free Camping - Dome building and
> papercrete
> To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
> Date: Sunday, May 15, 2011, 7:44 PM
>
> It appears to me that the average highs are over 100 for 3 months
> out of the summer, and the average lows are below zero for 5 months
> out of the winter. Someon tell me if I am reading this wrong.
> Joy in OK
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------
> *From:* George <georgeberz@yahoo.com>
> *To:* papercreters@yahoogroups.com
> *Sent:* Sun, May 15, 2011 10:11:52 AM
> *Subject:* [papercreters] Re: Free Camping - Dome building and
> papercrete
>
> As far as I know the reputation thing may be that it is considered
> DRY, "compared to the rest of montana" not compared to where You or
> I live currently spaceman...
>
> here is the weather data
>
> http://bit.ly/miles_city_annual_weather
>
> George
>
> Re: [papercreters] Free Camping - Dome building and papercrete
>
> Which part doesn't have a good reputation, where George is going?
> What is the problem? Is there something George needs to be prepared for?
> spaceman
> All opinions expressed or implied
> are subject to change without notice
> upon receipt of new information.
> http://Starship-Enterprises.Net
> blog at http://Starship-Enterprises.Net/wordpress/
>
> On 5/14/2011 10:54 AM, Joy Pickens wrote:
> Thanx. I used to live near Eureka and Libby, about 500 miles
> northwest of there. That part of the country doesn't exactly have
> the best reputaion of MT. And how in the workd would 30 to 60
> families live there on 65 acres? I love NW MT, and down around
> Billings there is sort of an oasis from the extreme weather in the
> Yellowstone Valley. Looks like a fun summer camping area, wish I
> could stop by but don't see that happening!
> Â
> Joy in OK
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------
>
> No virus found in this message.
> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com <http://www.avg.com>
> Version: 10.0.1375 / Virus Database: 1500/3641 - Release Date: 05/16/11
>



__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___