Tuesday, June 23, 2009

RE: [papercreters] Heat curing papercrete appears to improve tensile strength.



That's very interesting. I'm already wondering........"How can I pour my slurry into a mold that is actually a solar oven?" Then they would be dry in no time, and stronger as well. What about a slip form wall with some sort of solar reflector and good ventilation?

As far as what I learned over the weekend? It's OK to lounge on a sofa bed outdoors under a large beach umbrella and watch other people work.

Sincerely, Judith
Visit my new website at http://www.papercretebyjudith.com

More info at www.judith-l-williams.com

http://www.productcreationlabs.com/cmd.php?af=980303
http://www.productcreationlabs.com/cmd.php?Clk=3034152

   If you can't explain it simply, you don't know it well enough.

         If we knew what we were doing it wouldn't be called research, would it?

                                                                                                                                           Albert Einstein





i'm EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
Join me



To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
From: slurryguy@yahoo.com
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 12:53:03 +0000
Subject: [papercreters] Heat curing papercrete appears to improve tensile strength.



I discovered something interesting over the weekend.

I was playing around with a small bucket of slurry. I was making a few small samples. They are intended to be given away to a group of people I'm going to be talking to next weekend.

Anyway... that's not realy important.

What's important is what I may have discovered. Since I don't have time to wait for the typical air drying time of a few weeks, I wanted to speed the process along. What to do? I decided to pop them in the oven.

Yeah... I know... Haste makes waste, and I was in a hurry. That rush made me waste some precious energy resources. If I had been on top of my game, I would have made these samples a month ago when I had the chance, but I procrastinated. Hey... nobody's perfect... especially ME!!

I baked my small sample blocks... (approx 6" x 6" x 2") in the oven at 275F for 4 hours. (convection cycle)

It worked as expected. Dried them right out. No problems. There was some shrinkage as expected, and a very slight bit of curling of the corners. No big deal. I'm going to trim up the blocks on my saw to make them look nice and pretty.

However... I happened to have a few small scraps from a previous small batch that used the same recipe.

While both samples are very similar... the baked ones are MUCH more durable. They seem to be pretty similar in compression strength... (I haven't actually tested them yet.) However... my very SUBJECTIVE "Charles Atlas" test tells me that these new samples are a lot more difficult to pull apart. A LOT MORE DIFFICULT.

I have no idea why they seem so much stronger... but the samples don't lie.

I need to rig up a big fish scales and test the samples to get some actual numbers to see how big of a difference there is.

I also would like to compare the two samples under a microscope, but that will have to wait a while.

Anyway... that's what I learned over the weekend. How about everyone else? What did you learn?




__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___