Sunday, June 28, 2009

[papercreters] Re: Recipe Ratios

Hi Ron yes you have to let it drain off for 6 hrs in a hopper,for your application i would just get a big hyd ram.The flights on the grain auger are to light for extrusion molding.The slurry will auger before you drain it off but will need a convayor to move it after that.
Clair.


--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, Ron Richter <ronerichter@...> wrote:
>
> You are right of course. I hadn't planned on giving up the idea, I may need to have a custom made auger build to really pressurize the slurry. Instead of a parallel sided axle to which the blade is attached, a custom made one could have a large initial volume then have the axle expand larger toward the ouput end to "put the squeeze to it". This is good since the outside of the blades will remain parallel to fit inside a pipe.
>
> I mentioned I left my camera cable in Alaska so I can't transfer pictures right now. Maybe I'll borrow someone's camera that I can hook up to the computer.
>
> I'm building the hot house with a pallet floor today. I need to drill lightening holes in the wood slats on the pallets to allow more air/drainage to occur.
>
> Ron
>
>
>
>
> ________________________________
> From: slurryguy <slurryguy@...>
> To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
> Sent: Friday, June 26, 2009 9:11:35 AM
> Subject: [papercreters] Re: Recipe Ratios
>
>
>
>
>
> You have a very interesting idea, Ron.
>
> I wouldn't just give up on it unless you are convinced you have come up with a better idea. I don't know for certain that it will work well, but I encourage you to experiment enough with it that you can fully understand the capabilities of your extrusion method. Remember, no experiment is a failure if you LEARN FROM IT.
>
> PICTURES!!!? ???
>
> How about pictures of the parts and equipment you have so far and maybe a crude drawing of what you are thinking?
>
> --- In papercreters@ yahoogroups. com, Ron Richter <ronerichter@ ...> wrote:
> >
> >
> >
> > Slurryguy & Clair,
> > I wish we had had this discussion a month ago. I figured with Barry Fuller wanting 25,000 for a press and me needing one I could build one for a lot less. Bob Criswell and I emailed back and forth a couple of times, and talked of design issues but I went another direction when I took a stroll in the "back 40".
> >
> > I found an old posthole auger that you would mount on a 3 point hitch and drive from the PTO off a tractor. It is 6" diameter and 3 feet long and I figured it would be perfect to put in a pipe and push slurry into a box full of holes (for drainage) that slowly constricts (to build pressure) into the final shape of the wanted brick. This would create an extrusion of compressed PC and then one could have a hydraulic press (or a hand saw) that cuts it to length and put holes in the brick (if desired) at the same time. I was hoping to get 500 to 800 psi out of the auger. I don't know how tight a grain auger is but mine is tight inside its housing (6" PVC pipe for a test). Also I don't understand parts of Clair's statement "when you press you have to let the mix drain off for at least 6 hrs
> > then you can press quite fast and remove them from the press by hand." Are you letting your mixed slurry sit for 6 hours in the tow mixer or in a hopper? Is it draining off water while it sits there?
> >
> > I have the auger off the posthole apparatus, the box is half built (I decided to use plywood first as a test) and I am looking for bearings, pulleys, and engine. I was going to mount my auger horizontal so it just pushes out the compressed extrusion horizontally to cut on a rolling slab/conveyor/ table.
> >
> > Maybe I need to re-think. I was assuming if they can generate these huge pressures with augers for plastic molds it would be possible with PC.
> >
> > Ron
> >
>


------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/