Tuesday, June 30, 2009

[papercreters] Re: PC Countertops - Any ideas?




Don't know much about pouring countertops, but I do know that from what I've seen done, most countertops are poured upside down into a form with all edges already rounded inside the form. Then after drying the countertop is righted and the form removed, it is carried and put into place. I've been pouring my patio in 26w"x96l"x3.5d" sections, once poured I cover the section with 2 mill visquine and then using one of my plastic stone forms I imprint a stone pattern onto the surface, and then after it dryes I remove the visquine. Lately I've been adding paper pulp into the concrete mixture. The pour usually takes six 80 lbs bags of ready mix, and by adding 2 gallons wet paper pulp per bag of ready mix, I've cut the amount of ready mix to four bags. It dries a little slower than the normal ready mix, but only by about 24 hours. The texture is a little courser but I like it that way. Don't know if the same idea would work for a countetop or not but if you try it let us know how it turns out.

Bob

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "Chad" <chfmac2@...> wrote:

 Hello all. I am in the process of opening a new restaurant in Raleigh, NC and we are trying to be as green in the up fit as possible. I really want to put a papercrete countertop in our bar and have the basic idea of how to get it done. My question(s): 1- How would I get a nice smooth finish (can I machanicaly polish it)? 2- What is the best way to seal the top from water/food/ect. (I was thinking about bees wax)? 3- What is a good solid thickness to make the bar (I was thinking about 3 inches)? 
I know that each application has it's own little "gremlins" with it. So, experimentation is not completely out of the question. Any advise would be greatly welcom. Thanks



__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___