Friday, June 26, 2009

[papercreters] Two questions

Hi all,

I am starting my PC experiments. We are building a small cabin, 12 x 16. The structure will be poles and the the infill walls will be PC tilt up.

First the tilt up idea.

Four foot by eight foot panels. The form will stay on for rigidity. The first 3/4" of lift will be a stucco type mix with wire embedded (exterior). The next 1" will be PC for some structure. Next 3" will be rice hulls enclosed in bags (earth bag style). Topped off with 1&1/2" PC for the interior surface. Total wall thickness 6". Two intermediary 2x4 "studs"in the form for some structure. I am thinking the rice hulls will save weight and reduce cure time. The wall will be tilted up and fastened in place with the stucco side out and the PC side in. Some wood trim on both sides, and... done! No plastering no paint!

So the question is; Do you think it will work? I did a small sample with out the rice hull bladder, and it worked out pretty well. I know shrinkage will be an issue. I think some expanding foam or PC chinking will take care of it. Maybe a way to pull in the form after it cures.

Next question. For a mixer I only need 30 to 40 gallons at a batch, so I am looking at 55 gallon drum type. I looked at photos from ddrentx and elisutton9 and I am thinking along those lines. Question; Is a drill motor powerful enough to mix that much? I noticed Eli used one set up for the emulsifying and another for the mixing. I assume this is for the higher speed needed for the emulsifying.

Thanks for your help, I will post photos as I get going.

Tom

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/