Wednesday, April 16, 2008

[papercreters] shiny tin roof solution

jason said: I am not sure if adobe or papercrete would withstand the
amount of rain we get up here.
It rains alot. I really hate shiny tin though.
++++++++++++++


I hate it too, my neighbor's shed roof bounced glaring light for years
until the boxwood trees finally grew tall enough to cover it.

OK here is what you can do with shiny surfaces.. paint a coating of
basic asphalt emulsion (AE) it is non toxic- just bentonite clay and
crude basic asphalt in water suspension) it is a very low end
petroleum base "product", but pick your battles. when the water
droplets evaporate the AE sticks like crazy, and can be painted over
with latex or oil paints, or plastered with lime or liimewashed.

My project with a steel washer drum from a large commercial machine--
I embedded a light netting into the AE ( emulsion) while I painted it
on to give a tooth to the surface, you coould use fishing neting,
possibly chopped straw/shrubs/ reeds or other fibers pressed in. that
will solve the shiny problem.

BUT paint over that with a lime+ sand slurry-- I actually used lime
and shredded paper, and plastered over a metal drum, then tinted it in
blues and greens. came out great.

also a white surface will bounce heat off rather than leaving it black
with AE, and over several years the AE will slowly peel off, so it is
best as an undercoating/glue base.

How to & pic of my drum with final lime/paper coating.

http://www.dirtcheapbuilder.com/paliplonmedr.html

Charmaine Taylor Publishing
Green Building DVDs & Books
10th Anniversary $10. book Sale
www.dirtcheapbuilder.com
Tel: 1-707-441-1632 PST Eureka, Calif.