Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Re: [papercreters] Re: Paper Issue

Greetings,
The pure paper bags don't stand up well to earth bag construction. The
plastic lined ones do, though. I have used both and this is what we
found. Our soil is extremely acid, so that may have something to do
with it.

Bright Blessings,
Garth & Kim Travis
www.TheRoseColoredForest.com
Bedias, Texas

On 1/10/2012 8:28 AM, kujo85344 wrote:
> Use the sacks for earthbags or you could sell them for that purpose.
> Sources are hard to find.
> Earthbag building is yet another alternative building technique.
> http://www.earthbagbuilding.com/
>
> I have read articles by those that have used papercrete as a mortar both
> inside and out to seal the bags and add insulation.
>
> --- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com
> <mailto:papercreters%40yahoogroups.com>, "Rusty S" <slaytonfarms@...> wrote:
> >
> > I have finally got my mixer working great. But The horde of paper
> that I have gathered is giving me fits. I have been collecting paper
> feed sacks. Yesterday, after 6 hours of work I was only able to pour
> three full mixer loads. This is because the feed sacks clump into balls
> that will not break down until I reach in and tear them apart by hand (2
> hours). The second load, I tore the sacks inhalf (one at a time). This
> helped alittle as the load took almost two hours to break it down, clump
> at a time. The last load, I seperated the sacks (again one at a time).
> This means tearing it in half them seperating the three layers of paper.
> That took forever, then I let it soak for an hour. Then mixed it again,
> then added portland and aggregate. This load did break down alot better,
> but I had clumbs that would not pass through the (6in) spout.
> >
> > Have I wasted time and energy with these feed sacks? Should I try to
> find another source of paper. Newspapers work fantastic in my mixer as
> does cardboard if I let it soak. I was simply able to have a mass of
> feed sacks delivered to my site and was sure they would work.
> >
> > Advice is welcome. I can't spend all day and only pour 3 loads. My
> help and patience will not allow it.
> >
> > Rusty
> >
>
>


------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/