Sunday, January 8, 2012

RE: [papercreters] Paper Issue



It may be that your feed sacks have plastic in them. If that is the case then i would say find another source of paper. If it is because they are too thick maybe you should let them soak longer. I've found that paper absorbs water better after it has gone through a few rain showers. It gets wet and dries and really soaks up the water.



Follow progress on the new project at http://www.papercretebyjudith.com/blog

More papercrete info at http://squidoo.com/papercretebyjudith



To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
From: slaytonfarms@gmail.com
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2012 16:42:35 +0000
Subject: [papercreters] Paper Issue

 
I have finally got my mixer working great. But The horde of paper that I have gathered is giving me fits. I have been collecting paper feed sacks. Yesterday, after 6 hours of work I was only able to pour three full mixer loads. This is because the feed sacks clump into balls that will not break down until I reach in and tear them apart by hand (2 hours). The second load, I tore the sacks inhalf (one at a time). This helped alittle as the load took almost two hours to break it down, clump at a time. The last load, I seperated the sacks (again one at a time). This means tearing it in half them seperating the three layers of paper. That took forever, then I let it soak for an hour. Then mixed it again, then added portland and aggregate. This load did break down alot better, but I had clumbs that would not pass through the (6in) spout.

Have I wasted time and energy with these feed sacks? Should I try to find another source of paper. Newspapers work fantastic in my mixer as does cardboard if I let it soak. I was simply able to have a mass of feed sacks delivered to my site and was sure they would work.

Advice is welcome. I can't spend all day and only pour 3 loads. My help and patience will not allow it.

Rusty




__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___