Wednesday, January 25, 2012

[papercreters] Re: Papercrete roof panels?

Thanks for the suggestion. I've no experience with burlapcrete, but I'll admit I found the state of that roof after only 5 years offputting. I also would need the roof to look better due to where I live, so wuold probably want to put it onto polythene covered chip to get a flat smooth roof, but the loss of corrugation would weaken it considerably.

I really would like something that will last better than bitumen felt, which will do upto 20 years. If I cant find better I may just end up sticking with chipboard sarking on timber frame, capped with bitumen felt. Or I might be braver and try bitumen soaked papercrete, I dont know.

Thanks to everyone so far.


--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "countryatheartok" <criswells.ok@...> wrote:
>
>
> Also take a look at these roofs after year out in the weather and kids
> climbing on them
> http://www.ferrocement.com/Roof-repair-2010/roof-repair-10-29-2010.1.htm\
> l
> <http://www.ferrocement.com/Roof-repair-2010/roof-repair-10-29-2010.1.ht\
> ml>
>
>
>
> --- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "prrr.t21@" <prrr@> wrote:
> >
> > 'Latex' paints contain pva and/or acrylic binders, which are a long
> way short of the level of waterproofness needed for outdoor use as a
> binder here in England. I dare say they'd work in a near desert climate,
> but over here much more waterproof compounds than those, eg PU, are
> inadequate.
> >
> > I don't fancy my chances with a highly porous roof material with a
> little added water soluble binder, I can't see it has any realistic
> chance of keeping dripping wet out of the building.
> >
> > The only way I can see that might work for a roof here is to saturate
> the topside of the papercrete with bitumen in solvent, using a thin mix
> first to get it to penetrate as far as possible. The result would be
> excessive drying time, making construction problematic. Hopefully the
> insulation value of the unsaturated papercrete would prevent too much
> condensation, and what does occur could hopefully dry out without
> dripping. If the material cracks, the roofing would soon saturate. My
> thinking is this should be more durable than bitumen felting.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > --- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, JUDITH WILLIAMS williams_judith@
> wrote:
> > >
> > >
> > > I have experimented with adding latex paint to the mix. The first
> batch I did was about 5 gallons paint to my 200 gallon mixer. I
> plastered a small area of wall just to see what would happen and 5 years
> later it is still up there. I live in a dry climate so cannot advise you
> but I would say it's worth a try. Make a batch and try it out.
> > > I am thinking of doing something like this when I plaster the roof I
> have onthere now. I have a papercrete roof on each building. On the
> first one I laid down a good base of slurry then placed blocks into it
> and covered the whole thing with seems to have worked out OK. On the
> second building I put down those reed mats they sell at the store. On
> top of that I put some of that foil wrapped insulation that comes in a
> roll. I put 3 layers of papercrete over that. It hasn't leaked but is
> too thin. Some of it has lifted a bit so I'm going to put more
> papercrete on top of it in the spring. That's where I may add some paint
> to the mix.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Follow progress on the new project at
> http://www.papercretebyjudith.com/blog
> > >
> > > More papercrete info at http://squidoo.com/papercretebyjudith
> > >
> > >
> > > To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
> > > From: prrr@
> > > Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 00:31:56 +0000
> > > Subject: [papercreters] Re: Papercrete roof panels?
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > I'm interested in a small papercrete roof, probably for next year. I
> live in a wet climte in England, and if I used plain papercrete I'm sure
> they'd become saturated with water in winter, and make everything inside
> rust & rot. How could that be prevented? I gather a waterproof
> overcoating tends to cause problems.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Regards, NT
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > --- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, JUDITH WILLIAMS
> <williams_judith@> wrote:
> > >
> > > >
> > >
> > > >
> > >
> > > > I have done 2 papercrete roofs. I just continued the walls right
> up and over the top. Pics are in my blog. I have noticed some cracks at
> corners of doors and around the perimeter of the roof itself. I think
> adding more cement to the mix would have prevenedt this. I plan to go
> around and fill all cracks with expandable foam before plastering. I am
> no expert on this. Just learning as I go along. I would think the Currys
> in TX had done some papercrete roofs. They are not in this group but
> have a blog. I will give the link in the next email.
> > >
> > > >
> > >
> > > > I also experimented with roof panels. I made them about 30" x 48".
> I made the form, poured half the slurry, set a piece of wire fence over
> that (in the middle) then poured the rest. It is important to let it set
> up completely before moving it. I moved mine too early and they warped.
> > >
> > > >
> > >
> > > >
> > >
> > > >
> > >
> > > >
> > >
> > > >
> > >
> > > > Follow progress on the new project at
> http://www.papercretebyjudith.com/blog
> > >
> > > >
> > >
> > > > More papercrete info at http://squidoo.com/papercretebyjudith
> > >
> > > >
> > >
> > > >
> > >
> > > >
> > >
> > > >
> > >
> > > >
> > >
> > > > To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
> > >
> > > > From: tatsass@
> > >
> > > > Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 15:37:34 -0800
> > >
> > > > Subject: Re: [papercreters] Papercrete roof panels?
> > >
> > > >
> > >
> > > >
> > >
> > > >
> > >
> > > >
> > >
> > > >
> > >
> > > >
> > >
> > > >
> > >
> > > >
> > >
> > > > ..lex terry in new mexico did...
> > >
> > > > im not sure if he is on this group...
> > >
> > > > i know he is on facebook ...
> > >
> > > >
> > >
> > > >
> > >
> > > >
> > >
> > > >
> > >
> > > >
> > >
> > > > From: Alan <rustaholic777@>
> > >
> > > > To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
> > >
> > > > Sent: Sunday, January 22, 2012 2:41 PM
> > >
> > > > Subject: [papercreters] Papercrete roof panels?
> > >
> > > >
> > >
> > > >
> > >
> > > >
> > >
> > > >
> > >
> > > >
> > >
> > > >
> > >
> > > >
> > >
> > > >
> > >
> > > >
> > >
> > > > Has anyone here done a papercrete shed with a papercrete roof?
> > >
> > > > Alan in Michigan
> > >
> > > >
> > >
> >
>


------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/