Thursday, January 26, 2012

[papercreters] Re: Papercrete roof panels?

Yes, I have used the coated burlap (or in my case, I used old bed
blankets and old clothing ) to make large stones for landscaping the my
yard, I first draped coated blankets over an old tub and some buckets to
give it a shape, after dry I poured the interior of the stone with my
formula of PC, it has been laying out in the yard almost a year now and
I don't see any damage.


--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "ashokchand2000"
<ashokchand2000@...> wrote:
>
> Dear Countryatheartok,
> Are you suggesting that after a PC roof has been made, it could be
improved by draping over it cement coated burlap of the type shown in
the link?
> Regards
> Ashok
> --- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "countryatheartok" criswells.ok@
wrote:
> >
> >
> > Also take a look at these roofs after year out in the weather and
kids
> > climbing on them
> >
http://www.ferrocement.com/Roof-repair-2010/roof-repair-10-29-2010.1.htm\
\
> > l
> >
<http://www.ferrocement.com/Roof-repair-2010/roof-repair-10-29-2010.1.ht\
\
> > ml>
> >
> >
> >
> > --- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "prrr.t21@" <prrr@> wrote:
> > >
> > > 'Latex' paints contain pva and/or acrylic binders, which are a
long
> > way short of the level of waterproofness needed for outdoor use as a
> > binder here in England. I dare say they'd work in a near desert
climate,
> > but over here much more waterproof compounds than those, eg PU, are
> > inadequate.
> > >
> > > I don't fancy my chances with a highly porous roof material with a
> > little added water soluble binder, I can't see it has any realistic
> > chance of keeping dripping wet out of the building.
> > >
> > > The only way I can see that might work for a roof here is to
saturate
> > the topside of the papercrete with bitumen in solvent, using a thin
mix
> > first to get it to penetrate as far as possible. The result would be
> > excessive drying time, making construction problematic. Hopefully
the
> > insulation value of the unsaturated papercrete would prevent too
much
> > condensation, and what does occur could hopefully dry out without
> > dripping. If the material cracks, the roofing would soon saturate.
My
> > thinking is this should be more durable than bitumen felting.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > --- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, JUDITH WILLIAMS
williams_judith@
> > wrote:
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > I have experimented with adding latex paint to the mix. The
first
> > batch I did was about 5 gallons paint to my 200 gallon mixer. I
> > plastered a small area of wall just to see what would happen and 5
years
> > later it is still up there. I live in a dry climate so cannot advise
you
> > but I would say it's worth a try. Make a batch and try it out.
> > > > I am thinking of doing something like this when I plaster the
roof I
> > have onthere now. I have a papercrete roof on each building. On the
> > first one I laid down a good base of slurry then placed blocks into
it
> > and covered the whole thing with seems to have worked out OK. On the
> > second building I put down those reed mats they sell at the store.
On
> > top of that I put some of that foil wrapped insulation that comes in
a
> > roll. I put 3 layers of papercrete over that. It hasn't leaked but
is
> > too thin. Some of it has lifted a bit so I'm going to put more
> > papercrete on top of it in the spring. That's where I may add some
paint
> > to the mix.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Follow progress on the new project at
> > http://www.papercretebyjudith.com/blog
> > > >
> > > > More papercrete info at http://squidoo.com/papercretebyjudith
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
> > > > From: prrr@
> > > > Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 00:31:56 +0000
> > > > Subject: [papercreters] Re: Papercrete roof panels?
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > I'm interested in a small papercrete roof, probably for next
year. I
> > live in a wet climte in England, and if I used plain papercrete I'm
sure
> > they'd become saturated with water in winter, and make everything
inside
> > rust & rot. How could that be prevented? I gather a waterproof
> > overcoating tends to cause problems.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Regards, NT
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > --- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, JUDITH WILLIAMS
> > <williams_judith@> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > > > I have done 2 papercrete roofs. I just continued the walls
right
> > up and over the top. Pics are in my blog. I have noticed some cracks
at
> > corners of doors and around the perimeter of the roof itself. I
think
> > adding more cement to the mix would have prevenedt this. I plan to
go
> > around and fill all cracks with expandable foam before plastering. I
am
> > no expert on this. Just learning as I go along. I would think the
Currys
> > in TX had done some papercrete roofs. They are not in this group but
> > have a blog. I will give the link in the next email.
> > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > > > I also experimented with roof panels. I made them about 30" x
48".
> > I made the form, poured half the slurry, set a piece of wire fence
over
> > that (in the middle) then poured the rest. It is important to let it
set
> > up completely before moving it. I moved mine too early and they
warped.
> > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > > > Follow progress on the new project at
> > http://www.papercretebyjudith.com/blog
> > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > > > More papercrete info at http://squidoo.com/papercretebyjudith
> > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > > > To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
> > > >
> > > > > From: tatsass@
> > > >
> > > > > Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 15:37:34 -0800
> > > >
> > > > > Subject: Re: [papercreters] Papercrete roof panels?
> > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > > > ..lex terry in new mexico did...
> > > >
> > > > > im not sure if he is on this group...
> > > >
> > > > > i know he is on facebook ...
> > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > > > From: Alan <rustaholic777@>
> > > >
> > > > > To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
> > > >
> > > > > Sent: Sunday, January 22, 2012 2:41 PM
> > > >
> > > > > Subject: [papercreters] Papercrete roof panels?
> > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > > > Has anyone here done a papercrete shed with a papercrete roof?
> > > >
> > > > > Alan in Michigan
> > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > >
> >
>

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/