Thursday, January 26, 2012

[papercreters] Re: Papercrete roof panels?

As a former code enforcement officer for my little town, I know it's the
people who are trying to do right by telling on themselves, that get
into the most trouble, because they bring attention to themselves. If
they would have just went about their business and kept a low profile,
most would never have been detected as doing something wrong. What ever
you do, don't bring attention to yourself and if caught play dumb or
like Judith state a different purpose for the building. The governing
bodies take a dim view of people wanting to live in something that
small, without all the frills of big houses.

Bob
--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, JUDITH WILLIAMS
<williams_judith@...> wrote:
>
>
> You are right Donald. I am in a similar situation being 62 and not
ready in a position to start building again. Those who have been in this
group for a while know that my first project was shut down and I chose
to leave it and start another. The second building was also red tagged
but I called the inspector and explained that it was just a storage she.
He let me know that he could make things very difficult for me but that
if it's just a shed I shoulkd finish it. Since then he has not been
back. What happened with the first shut down was that my neighbor had an
inspection and when the inspector saw my place he felt obligated to
check it out. His coming on my property w/o my permission was not lawful
but would it really be wise to put up a stink?
>
> So my MO now is to keep a very low profile, not draw attention to
myself and keep building. Granted my little buildings don't look like
much. It's hard for most people to believe that anyone would live in a
place like that but that's because they are judging by the wrong
standards. All we really need is a warm dry place, not these huge
Mcmansions that are so popular. I can't believe it when I watch House
Hunters ans see newlyweds who think they need 4000 sf and multiple
bedrooms and bathrooms.
>
> Anyway, I don't mean to get off topic here. I think that anyone who
wants to build with papercrete should give it a try. We should all be
sharing experiences and everything we are learning about and doing with
papercrete. We can't depend on the government to help us and can only
hope they don't interfere with what we are doing.
>
>
>
> Follow progress on the new project at
http://www.papercretebyjudith.com/blog
>
> More papercrete info at http://squidoo.com/papercretebyjudith
>
>
> To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
> From: donald1miller@...
> Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 00:18:34 -0800
> Subject: Re: [papercreters] Re: Papercrete roof panels?
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Ok papercreters......You can look at Barry Fuller's roof panels and
compressed blocks and all the rest of the hype but the bottom line is he
builds little sheds for pay per view workshops but the only real houses
he can build are in Mexico. Same with Mike McCain and any other of the
papercrete pioneers. The bottom line is you will not be able to realize
the potential of papercrete because of the resrictive building codes
which are in place to thwart the average person from buiding their own
mortgtage free homes. If you check out the archives on this forum you
will find very few people who have actualy built a liveable house out of
papercrete. There are very few places in this country that do not have
code enforcement. I, unfortunately, live in one which does. I am
building a papercrete house anyway but I will have to be looking over my
shoulder and it really takes away from the enjoyment that one should
have from buillding his own home. I don't know
> what will happen if I get caught or turned in. I am 68 years old and
an experienced builder but I know that will not hold much water with
with the powers that be. And PLEASE don't tell me to work with the
kindly county officials who are only doing their job and wiill work with
you on this. All I can say to this is, BS. These county officials are
only looking to keep and perpetuate their jobs. And if you are trying to
build with an unknown medium they really don't care. You will be
required to build with conventional framing and sheeting and can only
use the papercrete on the outside of the OSB sheeting. If you are
required to do this why bother with the papercrete? If you want to get a
warm fuzzy from using this green medium you will probably have to stick
to building birdhouses,
> --- On Mon, 1/23/12, joel joelincalif@... wrote:
>
>
> From: joel joelincalif@...
> Subject: [papercreters] Re: Papercrete roof panels?
> To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
> Date: Monday, January 23, 2012, 7:21 PM
>
>
>
>
>
> Take a look at Barry Fuller's site where he's completed or supported
numerous projects with papercrete roofs.
>
> http://livinginpaper.org/
>
> --- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, teri ann tibbetts tatsass@ wrote:
> >
> > ..lex terry in new mexico did...
> > im not sure if he is on this group...
> > i know he is on facebook ...
> >
> > From: Alan rustaholic777@
> > To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
> > Sent: Sunday, January 22, 2012 2:41 PM
> > Subject: [papercreters] Papercrete roof
> panels?
> >
> > Â
> > Has anyone here done a papercrete shed with a papercrete roof?
> > Alan in Michigan
> >
>

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/