Sunday, January 8, 2012

[papercreters] Re: Paper Issue

Any given mixer only has so much shearing power. Your tough paper requires more than the mixer is giving. If you can increase the mixer blade speed it may get enough force going to do it.

I've tried long soaks on paper, it helped to a degree, but nothing great.

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, Garth & Kim Travis <gartht@...> wrote:
>
> Greetings,
> In the archives somewhere is my information on using feed bags. We soak
> ours for about 12 hours before mixing. Then, they work perfect. It is
> tough paper, but it makes really good papercrete.
>
> Bright Blessings,
> Garth & Kim Travis
> www.TheRoseColoredForest.com
> Bedias, Texas
>
> On 1/8/2012 5:16 PM, Rusty S wrote:
> > No Plastic. I have been through every layer and inch of these things.
> > They are made to carry weight and be thrown around. So I figure they are
> > just made alittle denser.
> >
> > I am going to the news paper office and the recycle center in the
> > morning to investigate a new source. And try to figure out what to do
> > with the 2 tons of paper sacks I have on site.
> >
> > Rusty
> >
> > --- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com
> > <mailto:papercreters%40yahoogroups.com>, JUDITH WILLIAMS
> > <williams_judith@> wrote:
> > >
> > >
> > > It may be that your feed sacks have plastic in them. If that is the
> > case then i would say find another source of paper. If it is because
> > they are too thick maybe you should let them soak longer. I've found
> > that paper absorbs water better after it has gone through a few rain
> > showers. It gets wet and dries and really soaks up the water.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Follow progress on the new project at
> > http://www.papercretebyjudith.com/blog
> > >
> > > More papercrete info at http://squidoo.com/papercretebyjudith
> > >
> > >
> > > To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com <mailto:papercreters%40yahoogroups.com>
> > > From: slaytonfarms@
> > > Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2012 16:42:35 +0000
> > > Subject: [papercreters] Paper Issue
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > I have finally got my mixer working great. But The horde of paper
> > that I have gathered is giving me fits. I have been collecting paper
> > feed sacks. Yesterday, after 6 hours of work I was only able to pour
> > three full mixer loads. This is because the feed sacks clump into balls
> > that will not break down until I reach in and tear them apart by hand (2
> > hours). The second load, I tore the sacks inhalf (one at a time). This
> > helped alittle as the load took almost two hours to break it down, clump
> > at a time. The last load, I seperated the sacks (again one at a time).
> > This means tearing it in half them seperating the three layers of paper.
> > That took forever, then I let it soak for an hour. Then mixed it again,
> > then added portland and aggregate. This load did break down alot better,
> > but I had clumbs that would not pass through the (6in) spout.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Have I wasted time and energy with these feed sacks? Should I try to
> > find another source of paper. Newspapers work fantastic in my mixer as
> > does cardboard if I let it soak. I was simply able to have a mass of
> > feed sacks delivered to my site and was sure they would work.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Advice is welcome. I can't spend all day and only pour 3 loads. My
> > help and patience will not allow it.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Rusty
> > >
> >
> >
> >
> > No virus found in this message.
> > Checked by AVG - www.avg.com <http://www.avg.com>
> > Version: 2012.0.1901 / Virus Database: 2109/4730 - Release Date: 01/08/12
> >
>


------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/