Friday, March 5, 2010

RE: [papercreters] Disc Mower blades to make mixer



I so envy all of you guys with mechanical ability and imagination. I am very interested to see more of your mixer innovations. I would love to have a 55 gallon mixer for times when I'm working alone and can't use 200 gallons. So please keep posting your progress. Thanks.

I realize there are good reasons for clipping replies however I like it when people at least leave the gist of the message they are replying to so I can understand it if I have missed the original post.

Sincerely, Judith

Check out my new papercrete blog http://www.papercretebyjudith.com/blog and leave me a comment.

Check out my new Squidoo Lens at http://www.squidoo.com/papercretebyjudith




i'm EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
Join me



To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
From: jdneutron@yahoo.com
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 00:51:55 +0000
Subject: [papercreters] Disc Mower blades to make mixer

 
I used 6 Kuhn disc mower blades to make a 5 gallon mixer. These made a good mixer because the blades have a 5/8" diameter hole, about 3" long, sharpened on both sides, and already slightly beveled. The mixer was made from a 1/2" all thread rod, nuts, and bushings so the blades would fit snuggly. The drill to power the mixer only turns at 500 rpm, but it still makes fairly good batches of PC. The blades were sharpened on a fine stone grinder so it is important not to be careless when using in a 5 gal bucket because these blades will slice and dice.

A picture of the blades is posted in JD Neutron photos:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/photos/album/6548902/pic/list

I was thinking of making a 55 gallon mixer the would look like a big blender by using bottom-mounted spindle from a riding mower deck that already has a pulley, bearings and support. This could be driven from the bottom by either a gas or electric motor. A four bladed rotor with swinging disc mower blades spinning at 1500 rpm should shred and mix.




__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___