Wednesday, March 31, 2010

[papercreters] Re: shop press



My formula is 3-2-1, which I use a gallon as a measurement method and I double it to fill my form because I know that is exactly what it takes to fill my form. So to make it simple I first pulp my paper, (just water and shredded paper, see my mixing paddle) until it looks like oatmeal, some like Doris and Ron pour their pulped paper on the ground to let it drain a little before they put it into a mixer, my mix is not as wet as their's so I don't have to drain mine as much. I simply dip out 6 gallons of the wet paper pulp, doesn't really matter if some batches are a little wetter than others, just don't get them too wet where there is a lot of visible water. I put those 6 gallons into my concrete mixer, and then I add my 2 gallons of cement. I let that mix very well until I can't see anymore paper, just a gray blob. After I think it has mixed enough I add my 4 gallons of clay, or some times I add 2 gallons of clay and 2 gallons of sand, I could add just 4 gallons of sand, but I would not get that nice color that I get when I use clay, just depends on what I want as a finished product. I let that mix until I hear it ploping in the mixer, once you've heard this sound you will know what to listen for the next time, if you don't hear that sound you probably have too much water in the mix and will need to add either more clay, sand, or cement or drier paper pulp to dry it up some. Once I feel like it is mixed enough I dump it into my wheelbarrow and move it to my wall, I try to mix very close to where I am working so I don't have to travel so far. I load the form, packing it  tight as I go, and I trowel the  top so the next course will set level when I get back around to that point. This method really goes fast and is not very labor intensive, even for us old folks. What I love about this formula is how fast it hardens.

And yes this could be considered a Slip form wall, just so happens it creates "T's". Doris and Ron use a true slip form with no "T's", either way works, just what ever works best for you. The method Doris and Ron uses takes more product to fill their longer forms, and I don't want to work that hard. Call me lazy, you won't hurt my feelings! ha ha Ron in Alaska uses about the same size form that I use only he uses wood and it looks like it works just as good as my steel and is a heck of a lot cheaper.


 In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, valledecalle@... wrote:

What is your formula? I keep thinking that block is so labor intensive,

Is your method what they call "slip walls"?
I even thought of making a wall form with a layer of chicken wire in the middle of the PC , let it dry and put it between studs. Then top it with sprayed PC.

Calle



__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___