Thursday, March 25, 2010

[papercreters] Re: mixing concrete

This winter I completed a 17x21 foot patio using an electric concrete mixer using just the earth on the ground and cement mixed 5 scoops earth and 1 scoop cement. It looked and worked like concrete and is solid. I'd recommend the next guy or gal use 2 scoops cement just to be safer.

This method worked great as the earth I dug out to make the patio was taken straight into the mixer. 1 five gallon bucket equaled 5 scoops so I filled two buckets earth, added two scoops of cement, and them poured it back down as cement. Be sure to pull aside 4 buckets worth of earth to give yourself some working room on the ground. use these 4 in the end to finish up the job.

I also believe you need to minimize the clay to less then 20%. Use the soil in a glass bottle method (with water) to find out what you have.

It'd also make a nice top coat over a papercrete wall.

Joel

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "alexis.marcil" <alexis.marcil@...> wrote:
>
> when I said earthcrete, I was really thinking of soil cement/ stabilized soil...
>
> From what I read, you're not supposed to have more than 10% clay in your soil and then you add 5 to 15% of portland cement.
>
> I made some test block using soil from my yard wich is mostly clay. I didn't add sand and added 10% portland cement. The result is a very hard block that doesn't seem to suffer from the clay content.
>
> I will let it dry a few days still and then will test the strenght...
>
> Alexis
>


------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/