Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Re: [papercreters] Time to mix some papercrete



 
 
Hope your mixer repairs work. I've just finished remodeling mine as well. Put a new plywood deck under the tank and put some 1/8" steel on the bottom of the tank where the metal was worn smooth from the cardboard wearing on it. While I was at it I added some bolt on cutters that grab the cardboard that wraps around the front edge of the blade and I've made three batches so far and they work great. Cuts down on the mixing time a great deal. I'll post some pictures after I get it fine tuned.
I got a glimpse of what it must be like to make papercrete in cooler climes as the weather here has been unseasonably cool and the blocks do not want to dry very well. I made most of my blocks in the summer months with temperatures well over 100 and warm nights as well so this is not much to my liking. I have been making blocks with only clay and pulp and they dry slowly anyway so I'm going to add cement til the weather gets warmer.

--- On Mon, 4/19/10, JUDITH WILLIAMS <williams_judith@hotmail.com> wrote:

From: JUDITH WILLIAMS <williams_judith@hotmail.com>
Subject: [papercreters] Time to mix some papercrete
To: "papercreters papercreters" <papercreters@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Monday, April 19, 2010, 8:59 AM

 
I've been without the internet for a few days so if any have tried to reach me don't feel I've been ignoring you. I don't know what's wrong with the computer and have no idea how to fix it but I'm sure I'll figure it out.
 
For now though, it's time to make some papercrete. I've spent about 2 weeks trying to fix leaks in the mixer. What I finally did, after several false starts, was to line the leaking areas with that peel and stick roof patch. I also put some gorilla glue on some places to reinforce the patch. Today I'll try mixing up a batch and see what happens.
 
I've also been making more slip forms. The idea is to have 2 courses going at all times. That way I can just leap frog the forms without having to level them all again and without having to have someone to help me. I'm really excited about this method of construction and can't wait to see how long it will take me to get the walls up. Since I am experiencing a paper shortage I may cut down some of the many surplus blocks I have and use them in the walls. I was going to make all new blocks but it will speed things up and use less paper to do it this way.
 
Oh and a word about the blog for those who have wondered: I have been trying to keep up with it but after working at the building project all day I'm just too tired when I get home. And I am so slow at it that it's easy to keep procrastinating. I'll keep trying, but first must get the internet working again.

Follow progress on the new project at http://www.papercre tebyjudith. com/blog

More papercrete info at http://squidoo. com/papercreteby judith





i'm EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
Join me



__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___