Wednesday, November 19, 2008

RE: [papercreters] sources

I am no sure why that would be, you still would have most of the bale insulating.  You are going to mud the outside anyway. Personally I see no advantage at all in straw over rice hulls and the rice hull house is no problem meeting spec and goes up a lot faster, weeks faster.


At 03:52 PM 11/19/2008 -0500, you wrote:

That is an outdated method originally developed in Quebec but is no longer seen as useful.  It cause frost bridging and defeats the r value of the wall.
 
Nick
 
I teach folks how attract money online.
www.qncommunications.com
 


From: papercreters@yahoogroups.com [mailto:papercreters@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Forrest Charnock
Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2008 1:26 PM
To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [papercreters] sources

I think if I was going to build with straw I would float the bales in clay
slip and seal all for sides before bringing them to the site. It would add
weight during construction and possibly be a slight negative on r value but
it would almost eliminate the fire hazard.
The rice hulls sound like the way to go as meeting code is easy and they
almost won't burn.

I love the idea of papercrete but I need to learn more before I would
chance building a house that way.