Friday, November 28, 2008

Re: [papercreters] Re: Power post hole auger mixer?

I have had better luck with faster speeds with my mixers. You want the paper to completely come apart into individual fibers, and slow agitation just doesn't seem to break it up very fast. Charmaine has used an old washing machine and had good batches, but IIRC it took quite a while to break up. Correct me if I'm wrong, Charmaine.

Does the auger reverse? I've been thinking about a mixer that would push paper through a heavy grill, using something like that auger put into a pipe that fits snugly. It might push pulp through a steel grate, grinding it along the way.

At first I was thrilled with the spray washer mixing, but I'm looking for parts to fix the big no-tow mixer now. The spray washer does a good job, it just takes too long compared to that whirling blade. I bought the biggest power washer I could find, powered by a 13hp motor and making 4,000 psi at 3.6gpm, so even though I normally run it at about 3/4 throttle that should be plenty of power. It takes a 50 gallon drum about 20 minutes to fill up. In the same time I can do 150 gallons in the large mixer, don't have to stand there and wiggle the wand, and don't get wet from splashback. I toss in paper and turn on the water, start the engine, let out the clutch, set the throttle, and walk away for 15 minutes. By then the paper is pretty much pulped and the tank is full so I come back and turn off the water, and rev the engine a few times to make sure there are no hidden lumps, and it's done. Much easier and 3x as fast in production. Plus I can work on something else during those 15 minutes, like setting up the next load with paper and additives measured out, working on forms, unclogging the pump, stuff like that.

Spaceman

synergialearning wrote:

Well the unit I am looking at puts out 150 ft lb of torque! Remember these things are designed to dig through hard dirt. I have seen some folks here using drill motors for 55 gallon batches. I think this would have more torque. Slower rpm though so I am still wondering about that. What is the rpm of the average tow mixer?  Thanks for any input.  Tom    
__._,_.___

Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___