Monday, November 10, 2008

Re: [papercreters] Re: Compressed Blocks of papercrete?

You are correct on every point!  The chamber in our press is 6X7X12.  Fill it loose to the top and press to 3X7X12.  Make uniform blocks.  Since I have no large scale knowledge of papercrete I try to not offer advice.  The blocks we pressed were of course denser than the ones we formed without pressing.  This I assume would allow them to be placed in the wall imediately after pressing - then they can cure with minimal shrinkage?  Watching papercrete cure ranks right up there with watching adobe cure! 
 
To answer all these questions for myself - I would need to go DIY crazy for a while.  With CEB I was lucky.  Worshops and weekend hands on events allowed me to quickly see the ins and outs of CEB. I designed  them a tradeshow demonstration on what I saw.  All were very happy.  But they still try to sell me a $35K machine every once and a while!  I want to buiild my house design as a DIY not send there kids to Harvard!
 
A Hume
 
 
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, November 09, 2008 8:07 PM
Subject: [papercreters] Re: Compressed Blocks of papercrete?

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "peddler8111" <fpcharnock@...> wrote:
>
> Has anyone tried making compressed blocks w/ papercrete or paper adobe?
>
++++++++++++++++++++++

probably some have, but it removes the advantage of light weight and insulative.. pressing
takes the air & water out and you end up with a dense, but somewhat lighter brick... there
is no advantage to manually adding a workstep of pressing, and the cost of a CEB, , and
besides the papercrete would have to be very dry to compress, as any resident moisture
may squish out and you get a thin brick., unless you wanted a decorative thin brick. that
still needs to cure for a period, why bother?

adobe soil has just 4% or so, moisture before adding to a CEB to make a block, while wet
papercrete is - I imagine-- 20% or more ( ? anyone know the stats?) water once
drained.... so not as good for the 35,000 PSI you get in compression of a Cinva Ram
press.

A manual hand press, or a brick press may work, but still it will squeeze the block down
smaller I think.

I know a couple people may have a CEB ( the cinva ram) has anyone tested this formula?

Charmaine Taylor
www.dirtcheapbuilder.com www.papercrete.com



No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com
Version: 8.0.175 / Virus Database: 270.9.0/1779 - Release Date: 11/10/2008 7:53 AM
__._,_.___

Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___