Monday, November 17, 2008

Re: [papercreters] Re: Compressed Blocks

The tests used for CEB - in front of me - shear from all sides, compression and twist.  I was startled at anything beyond compression but the engineer stated that the forces on the wall were not just compression.  I now understand.  The engineer that I worked with tested concrete and agreed to test the CEB under harrassment.  He did certify them and listed the conditions for a full load beariing wall.
 
Has any one run these tests on papercrete?  The DIY adobe builders have a few homemade tests that have proven accurate.  I used these tests in 1966 in an Architecture class.  This was my introduction to 3rd world materials. THey are still used.  But of course they are non certified so my DIY heart goes WOW - but my go to the bank and get a loan goes - get it certified.
 
 
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, November 17, 2008 8:36 AM
Subject: [papercreters] Re: Compressed Blocks

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, Ron Richter <ronerichter@...> wrote:
>
> I don't particularly like the idea of having to find MORE paper to do
> the job with less. In order to have the same insulation of a 10"
> uncompressed block wall I would need a compressed block of at least
> 15" thickness (which means even more paper).

Hi, Ron. Could you provide some documentation on this? Other folks who
have compressed the blocks find the opposite to be true, that
insulative value per square inch (aka R Value) goes UP once the PC is
compressed. I know this seems counter intuitive, but that is what
testing has shown so far. What tests did you use to arrive at your
figures?

I don't disagree that for a given size block compressing means more
paper, but given the amount of waste paper out there I just don't see
that as an issue for myself.

- Ernie



No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com
Version: 8.0.175 / Virus Database: 270.9.4/1793 - Release Date: 11/16/2008 7:58 PM
__._,_.___

Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___