Monday, November 17, 2008

RE: [papercreters] Re: Compressed Blocks

This is just theory on my part, I think you are both right sort of.
 
I think papercrete with light compression becomes a closed cell insulation which increases the r value.  But I think when you put too much compression on the material Ron's theory kicks in and you drive out the air as well as the water.  Now all we need to do is get experimenting to find out if this is true and if so how much compression is just right.
 
Nick


From: papercreters@yahoogroups.com [mailto:papercreters@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Ernie Phelps
Sent: Monday, November 17, 2008 9:36 AM
To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [papercreters] Re: Compressed Blocks

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, Ron Richter <ronerichter@...> wrote:
>
> I don't particularly like the idea of having to find MORE paper to do
> the job with less. In order to have the same insulation of a 10"
> uncompressed block wall I would need a compressed block of at least
> 15" thickness (which means even more paper).

Hi, Ron. Could you provide some documentation on this? Other folks who
have compressed the blocks find the opposite to be true, that
insulative value per square inch (aka R Value) goes UP once the PC is
compressed. I know this seems counter intuitive, but that is what
testing has shown so far. What tests did you use to arrive at your
figures?

I don't disagree that for a given size block compressing means more
paper, but given the amount of waste paper out there I just don't see
that as an issue for myself.

- Ernie

__._,_.___

Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___