Tuesday, December 20, 2011

[papercreters] Re: PC in cold, wet, climes

I lived in Walton Ky for a 1.5 years in 1989-1991. It is a great area and reminds me much of where I live now which is in Oklahoma. The summers are brutal with lots of humidity which make the heat seem unbearable. We are wanting to do some papercrete here and are thinking of doing slip forms. Has anyone used stone with their papercrete. I live on what seems to be a stone garden.......

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "trendawareness" <trendlinesystems@...> wrote:
>
> I live in "Cincitucky" (South of the Ohio river on the Kentucky side of the greater Cincinnati Metro area), but most folks don't know where that is. So I say "Ohio" or "Ohio Valley" when referring to the climate.
>
> I have a nice tool shed now. The folks that built it did pour it a slab and I have nothing against concrete. My only problem is it's full of tools and I don't have anywhere to store paper and other combustibles away from the house. So I figure I'd make a PC structure come spring. A "lean-to" against my existing shed might be an option as it's rather tall w/ 8'ft walls plus a sloped roof.
>
> Since PC is so light, I could also build a free-standing structure above-ground.
>
> Thanks again!
>
> --- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, JUDITH WILLIAMS <williams_judith@> wrote:
> >
> >
> > I poured a papercrete floor in early May (or maybe it was April). It was about 4" thick. I made some big mistakes with the mix and had to tear the entire floor out about 5 months later. It was still very wet underneath and had a strong moldy smell so I would not recommend a papercrete floor. If I had the money and did not have a prejudice against concrete I would pour a slab and build up from that with the blocks. That would simplify things a lot. What I did was use a rubble trench foundation and use latex paint in the first 2 courses of papercrete to water proof it. This worked out OK but it would be a lot easier to do the slab. Or raise the building on a platform.
> >
> > Keep in mind that a 12 x 12 building is a big project so make sure you have a lot of help. I used a combination of blocks and slip forming in my little buildings and it went quite a bit quicker than the straight block method. There are a few things I would do differently but I feel it was a good way to use up the old blocks and speed up the process.
> >
> > I lived in Ohio for a while and yes it is a wet climate. I wouldn't worry too much about the moisture issue except to be very careful about keeping all papercrete away from standing water or from roof leaks.
> >
> > Have fun with your project and please keep us posted on how you are doing.
> >
> >
> >
> > Follow progress on the new project at http://www.papercretebyjudith.com/blog
> >
> > More papercrete info at http://squidoo.com/papercretebyjudith
> >
> >
> > To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
> > From: trendlinesystems@
> > Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2011 14:31:02 +0000
> > Subject: [papercreters] PC in cold, wet, climes
> >
> >
>


------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/