Saturday, December 3, 2011

[papercreters] Re: PC in cold, wet, climes

Yes, I find water to be the best cardboard shredder around. You'd be surprised how many cardboard boxes you can fit into a 5 gallon bucket!

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, JUDITH WILLIAMS <williams_judith@...> wrote:
>
>
> I store my paper outside. It seems to become more absorbent the more times it gets rained on. Especially the cardboard. You just have to guard against mold. I think I will probably reuse the floor I tore out. I will add a bunch of borax to the mix.
>
>
>
> Follow progress on the new project at http://www.papercretebyjudith.com/blog
>
> More papercrete info at http://squidoo.com/papercretebyjudith
>
>
> To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
> From: trendlinesystems@...
> Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2011 16:43:59 +0000
> Subject: [papercreters] Re: PC in cold, wet, climes
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> I live in "Cincitucky" (South of the Ohio river on the Kentucky side of the greater Cincinnati Metro area), but most folks don't know where that is. So I say "Ohio" or "Ohio Valley" when referring to the climate.
>
>
>
> I have a nice tool shed now. The folks that built it did pour it a slab and I have nothing against concrete. My only problem is it's full of tools and I don't have anywhere to store paper and other combustibles away from the house. So I figure I'd make a PC structure come spring. A "lean-to" against my existing shed might be an option as it's rather tall w/ 8'ft walls plus a sloped roof.
>
>
>
> Since PC is so light, I could also build a free-standing structure above-ground.
>
>
>
> Thanks again!
>
>
>
> --- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, JUDITH WILLIAMS <williams_judith@> wrote:
>
> >
>
> >
>
> > I poured a papercrete floor in early May (or maybe it was April). It was about 4" thick. I made some big mistakes with the mix and had to tear the entire floor out about 5 months later. It was still very wet underneath and had a strong moldy smell so I would not recommend a papercrete floor. If I had the money and did not have a prejudice against concrete I would pour a slab and build up from that with the blocks. That would simplify things a lot. What I did was use a rubble trench foundation and use latex paint in the first 2 courses of papercrete to water proof it. This worked out OK but it would be a lot easier to do the slab. Or raise the building on a platform.
>
> >
>
> > Keep in mind that a 12 x 12 building is a big project so make sure you have a lot of help. I used a combination of blocks and slip forming in my little buildings and it went quite a bit quicker than the straight block method. There are a few things I would do differently but I feel it was a good way to use up the old blocks and speed up the process.
>
> >
>
> > I lived in Ohio for a while and yes it is a wet climate. I wouldn't worry too much about the moisture issue except to be very careful about keeping all papercrete away from standing water or from roof leaks.
>
> >
>
> > Have fun with your project and please keep us posted on how you are doing.
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> > Follow progress on the new project at http://www.papercretebyjudith.com/blog
>
> >
>
> > More papercrete info at http://squidoo.com/papercretebyjudith
>
> >
>
> >
>
> > To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
>
> > From: trendlinesystems@
>
> > Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2011 14:31:02 +0000
>
> > Subject: [papercreters] PC in cold, wet, climes
>
> >
>
> >
>


------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/