Wednesday, July 14, 2010

[papercreters] Re: New one in Peru -South America-

Yes my recipe for cement is the same as concrete that is one part cement
for every 3 parts paper and 2 parts clay or sand. But cement does not
weigh all that much that small one part cement might weigh 9.4 lbs I
come up with that number by taking the weight of a bag of cement (94 lbs
and dividing it by 10 or about 10 gallons of cement to the 94 lb bag) I
suspect the clay weighs much more than the cement and there is twice as
much. And there is three times as much paper but it only weighs about
the same as the cement. What are you calling the right amounts of clay
and pulp? Is that a 50/50 mixture? And how water proof is that mixture?
I tried clay and pulp last year left it out in the weathe along side my
mixture and it turned to mush in about 6 months. My mixture is still
hard and firm, soaks up water if left on the ground but will dry out and
remains hard all the time.

BTB


--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, Donald Miller <donald1miller@...>
wrote:

It is possible that the third world countries do not have the obsession
we have for secrecy and as a result would not shred paper as we do over
here. Also, if my memory serves me correctly, your recipe for PC uses as
much cement as a concrete mix hence the extreme weight of the dry blocks
or wall. By not using cement the blocks or wall sections are much
lighter and I would think have a much higher R value. Clay and pulp in
the right amounts makes a very strong, lightweight block with good
insulative qualities. And of course they are much cheaper and much
"greener".

--- On Tue, 7/13/10, countryatheartok criswells.ok@... wrote:


From: countryatheartok criswells.ok@...
Subject: [papercreters] Re: New one in Peru -South America-
To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tuesday, July 13, 2010, 11:05 AM


If possible do not use Newspaper because of it resale value, surely
there are places that pay to have their paper shredded, show them that
they don't have to pay for that service, that you will soak that paper
in water and pulp it for free. Also don't produce bricks or blocks,
pour the walls in place there by saving a lot of time and labor.
Yesteday I had to cut out a section of wall about 6 inches tall and 12
inches wide and 12 inches long, to make room for a new window. I had
never had to cut my mixture before and I've seen demo's on the net as
how to do it with a chain saw. Well let me tell you my mix must be much
stronger that the ones I've seen cut on the net, it took me about 20
minutes and three tries before I got the small section cut out, I was
shocked at the weight of such a small piece of block, I have not weighed
it yet but I'll bet that small section will top 20 lbs., and it had been
dry for a year now. I calculate it takes about 10
gallons of cement to pour a 12" tall 8" wide by 12 feet long and that
calculates to about $10.00 for less that $1.00 per sq ft of wall, can't
see how you can get much cheaper.
BTB

--- In papercreters@ yahoogroups. com, "ashokchand2000" <ashokchand2000@
...> wrote:


Dear Marco,

I am trying something similar here in Pune, India.

The first step I am taking is to get the raw material cost of one cubic
foot of papercrete mix below he wholesale price of one cubic foot of
conventional bricks.
This is tough to do as used newsprint as other economic uses in India
and sells at four times the cost of rock aggregate that it replaces in
concrete.

Second I am trying to get a good engineering college to certify the
strength of the bricks reduced.

Thirdly I am looking at uses such as making chicken coops (in good
demand) rather than making houses in which people live. Just imagine a
conversation between yourself and your wife where you tell her that the
first house that the family will own is made of paper!

Let us see how it goes.

Regards
Ashok

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/