Thursday, July 1, 2010

[papercreters] Is SodaSorb (50-100% Calcium Hydroxide) Equivelent to Slaked Lime?

Hi All,

I work as a technician for an underwater research and manned sumbersible company and as a side effect of our work we generate a good quantity of Sodasorb (used in the mini subs to remove C02 from the cabin atmosphere).

See MSDS
www.amronintl.com/documents/product/page685-DOC-032646.pdf

So... the million dollar question is can I carefully grind up the lightly used Sodasorb (Calcium Hydroxide 50-100%, Sodium hydroxide 0.0-1.0% Potassium hydroxide 2.0-5.0%)and end up with a product that I can use for lime plasters?

Or, can I simply add the granules to my PC mixes to reduce the amount of Portland needed and get a lime based hardening as well as the cement?

I looked at one of SpaceMan's old posts and it seems to indicate that calcium hydroxide is equal to slaked lime and as the main ingredient of Sodasorb is also calcium hydroxide then it seems that I have a couple of pallets of slaked lime.

Thoughts and feedback most appreciated before I anger my wife by dragging home more "materials"!

Cheers,

Sasha

P.S. My foundations are down! Next is post and beam work, roof, then PC infill!!

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/