Thursday, November 29, 2007

[papercreters] Re: First time P-crete results, Pt I

Thanks to all of you: Spaceman, Kahunna, Greg.

--I used a full bag (47#) in the full barrow of pulp.

--It was not ahrd to wash off anything, as noted here the paper seems
to bind the cement up better than aggregate so you are basically
washing pulp tidbits off. Even after drying since Sun the paper
washed off easy from metal, wood, concrete. Tommorrow I will see how
the papercrete washes off after 2 days sitting.

--Yes the string trimmer was my own idea borne of necessity, to avoid
functional fixedness I brainstormed, using the idea of cutting the
paper as my seed. Trimmer was third after 2 stroke mantis type
tiller and chipper shreder.

--I am career Lawna Garden Tech, so I aint too worried about busting
the equip.

--Not to omuch mess as the trimmer has a clutch. Teried to rev and
de-rev under the surface of barrwo of wet pulp. Its a cheap homeowner
4-stroke. I will try using a 4 lobe brush blade on it, or an
engineered plastic or composite cut in such a shape.
WISH I still had my 51 cc old school craftsman Japanese trimmer!

--long term?? paper will be torn a bit as saved (inside house), and
when main storage trash cans ouside are full they will be shredded
by shredder, emptying into a bag. Will store dry shreds in swire cage
temporarily until I can then set them shreds to ret a day or two
in 'barrow.

--good results mixing cement into well-retted pulp by hand with short
spade. EASY, much more so than regualr crete!!

--------Just checked, as it has cured and dewatered in the form over
the night, the top has settled down from just above the form (loosely
screeded) to just below, and it ahs come in from the edges just a tad.

---First object we are making is panels to cover and eventually
enclose sides of our fire wood.

---making first block extra stong as PUBLICITY ITEM.----------

FIL nextdoor has 35 year carrer as GC in this county,

BIL across street is not a general contractor, but is Superintendent
(up from carpenter ranks) of a company tht makes HUGE cable wrapped
water storage tanks out of regualr crete.

----------Want to Make good pub for PC, show first it is strong
durable, and cheap. All i got in this block is the cost of cement!!

************For any major project, I plan to semi industrialize,a nd
will buy newsprint at just over the recycler price to get it in bulk
to my crib in the rural hood More money for the collector homies.

THANKS to all you all!!


-- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "David-\"The Hern\""
<jerrydave1@...> wrote:
>
> Howdy all, this weekend was our first try at PC.
>
> Sat I set a buch of torn stuff into wheelbarrow and added water.
>
> Kept turning and tearing some, but carboard, coateds,a dn strips of
> newsprint werent pulping apart.
>
> LSS, I used a 4 stroke string trimmer with approx 2 inhces line
> sticking out to finish pulping. Now have a wheelbarrow almost full
> to the top with oatmeal-ish pulp.
>
> I have a 60 pound cement, do you all think its enough for a
> contractor wheel barrow full to top with pulp?
>
> Planning to pour after work sometime this weeek, or Sunday if can
tdo
> after work. Sat is not an open day for us this week.
>
> I have a 2 ft by 4 ft frame built, and will make another before I
mix
> and dispense. Using steel poultry netting as reinforcement.
>
> Wish us luck, and let me know how much cement I should addd to pulp?
>
> Thanks, Dave
>



Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/