Monday, December 3, 2012

Re: [papercreters] Re: Papercrete in the cold North?



A 1:2 ratio for portland to paper?
Wouldn't that make for some expensive papercrete?
TASHA

On 12/2/2012 10:14P, Ron wrote:

Hi Alan,  You probably have a bit more moist environment than that in Montana, but I did just that.  In 2008 I started a shed 8'X16' to house a three wheeler and trailer.  I was only able to work on it summers and so it sat through the winter.  I did cover it for some of the time but nothing fancy, a blue tarp that never made it through the winter.     My mix was not what you mentioned, rather it was 1:2 portland to paper.  I was adding sand at the beginning but soon was using just paper and portland.  I never got it done because of other pressing matters.  In December 2011 I had to remove it from where it was because I had put it right in the path where an 18 wheeler needed to go around one of my buildings.  So it sat in the elements for 4 years and was perfectly fine when I tore it apart.  I saved all that I had done because I am planning a "real" building which will have 12" thick walls.  I'll be able to bury all the pieces I salvaged from my initial attempt in the walls of the new structure because the shed only had 8" walls.    Personally, I don't think you'll be wasting your time.  Ron           --- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, Alan <rustaholic777@...> wrote:  
  Next question     Is there anyone here that has done a straight equal amount of paper and Portland in water and built anything to set outside here in the cold sometimes very wet North?     I would love to know that if I build the tow mixer and put up a papercrete shed it will last a good while.  It would be a real waste to make the tow mixer just to do some samples that fail.  If none of you can assure me it will work I do suppose I could do a five gallon bucket test and make a block to set outside for a year or so.   I have one of those drill powered "paint" stirrers to mix up Quick Crete in five gallon buckets if only I can find it now.     Alan in Northern Lower Michigan         
        ------------------------------------    Yahoo! Groups Links    <*> To visit your group on the web, go to:      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/    <*> Your email settings:      Individual Email | Traditional    <*> To change settings online go to:      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join      (Yahoo! ID required)    <*> To change settings via email:      papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com       papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com    <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:      papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com    <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/      


__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___